Thread: Material

Forum Regular

Material

What type of speaker wire/cable material is best? Silver? copper?
    Is solid strand better or multistranded?

Thanks

Silver do have slightly less resistance than copper (per gauge), but that can be over come by buying larger gauge copper wire [than silver] which is much cheaper than silver. As for solid vs stranded, I would opt for stranded since they are much more flexible and easier to work with
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 92135011
    What type of speaker wire/cable material is best? Silver? copper?
    Is solid strand better or multistranded? Thanks

Silver is only 6% better conductor than copper. A 1 ga increase in copper wire size will reduce resistance by 20%. As stated above, copper is less, much less expensive.

Solid/stranded are equals for same guage wire. A preference.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Another difference between Copper and Silver is that Silver Oxide is quite a good conductor of electricity whilst Copper oxide is not. This could affect the performance of copper cables with exposed ends, in theory detrimentally.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxg
    Another difference between Copper and Silver is that Silver Oxide is quite a good conductor of electricity whilst Copper oxide is not. This could affect the performance of copper cables with exposed ends, in theory detrimentally.
    Yes, with unterminated raw wires. You solder a spade or banana plug and you solve it.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    I like Silver for the mids and highs when bi-wiring, and copper for the bass. I find silver has a brighter sound quality when compared to copper.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    I like Silver for the mids and highs when bi-wiring, and copper for the bass. I find silver has a brighter sound quality when compared to copper.
    Well, lets look at this issue theoretically.

If we use same gauge wire of silver and copper and compare them sonically, then theoretically, silver should have more bass response than copper. That is because due to lower resistance of silver, there will be less resistance to high current which is demanded by woofer. Remember that lower frequency demand more current than mid or high frequency(s). So bass response is more sensitive to cable resistance.

In that case, you be better off using the silver for bass, and copper for mids and highs when bi-wiring
    Last edited by Tony_Montana; 03-22-2004 at 08:23 PM.
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Forum Regular
    generally, isnt silver wire higher gauge than copper?
    I have seen sites that have a maximum gauge of about 20 for silver, while copper 12 gauge is still very popular.

Forum Regular
    generally, isnt silver wire higher gauge than copper?
    I have seen sites that have a maximum gauge of about 20 for silver, while copper 12 gauge is still very popular.

Yes, higher numbers though are higher in resistance. So, a 20 ga has a lot more resistance than 12ga, almost 10X.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Montana
    Well, lets look at this issue theoretically.

If we use same gauge wire of silver and copper and compare them sonically, then theoretically, silver should have more bass response than copper. That is because due to lower resistance of silver, there will be less resistance to high current which is demanded by woofer. Remember that lower frequency demand more current than mid or high frequency(s). So bass response is more sensitive to cable resistance.

In that case, you be better off using the silver for bass, and copper for mids and highs when bi-wiring

But the ear is even less sensitive for level changes at lows than mid band, a whole lot less.
    And, it is the dB drop that matters, not the raw numbers of amps lost due to IR drop of wire.
    mtrycrafts

generally, isnt silver wire higher gauge than copper?I
    There's no physical law that determines this. It could well pe purly economics.

Thread Information