Forum Regular

looking for cables that would give guitars thicker sound

I recently put together a 2ch audio system and I listen to a lot of heavy metal, it sounds alright for drums/vocals but the guitars tend to get buried in the mix and dont sound thick what could actually help in that area? Im using a Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1505F interconnect and some copper twist wire for speaker cable raw terminated.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

I'm not sure if a cable is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by crowbar
    I recently put together a 2ch audio system and I listen to a lot of heavy metal, it sounds alright for drums/vocals but the guitars tend to get buried in the mix and dont sound thick what could actually help in that area? Im using a Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1505F interconnect and some copper twist wire for speaker cable raw terminated.
    What speakers are you using?
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Klipsch SB-3

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

...you could move from solid-body electrics to big, fat, jumbo, f-hole, jazz-style, arched-top, acoustics...but wires as a sound shaper?

If you are looking to make an instrument somehow "fatter" you have to understand a few things...wires ain't gonna' cut it...finding different speakers that you prefer is probably the way to go. There aren't any pieces of gear(at least that I've seen) which has bass, treble, and fat guitar settings...except perhaps, the "presence" control on the guitarists amp. Another thing to consider, did he and the record producer want it to sound "fat"? If it's not in the source, nothing will make it so in playback. Any time you zero in on that "single instrument" concept, it will be at the expense of other instruments in the mix...

jimHJJ(...just some food for thought...P.S. I'm a guitarist...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Forum Regular
    Im not wanting to make the instrument that much "fatter" but I can just by listening that im not getting the full playback, as I read cables play an important role, I just tried another type of wire and now the vocals are a bit degraded, I do think cables make a big difference. I also read lots of reviews on cables and people described some to sound bassier others more brighter etc. So I just want something that could really bring out the instruments for this type of music.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Not trying to argue with you...

...but...
    im not getting the full playback....So I just want something that could really bring out the instruments for this type of music...
    Again, I pose the question re: the production values of your source material. They will change from sample to sample...and if they don't, something is wrong.

I also read lots of reviews on cables and people described some to sound bassier others more brighter etc.
    It would seem that cables tend to affect the higher frequencies i.e. roll them off...if you "turn down" the treble, the bass will seem more pronounced and vice-versa...the whole issue is very subjective and based more on anecdotal "experience" with liitle or no technical basis other than as just mentioned.

jimHJJ(...just some things to consider...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    You're free to believe in the power of cables to make a significant difference, but just from googling your system, you've got interconnects that cost more than ~10% of your speakers. I think you could do more putting that money into speakers. Also, I've always found bookshelf speakers to be heavily influenced by room placement. Move them in and out from walls etc, maybe get them up on some solid stands so they aren't picking up as much resonance from the walls and I'll bet the guitars come out more.

Thread Information