Forum Regular

audioquest King Cobra - genuine or fake?

Please, I bought a pair of used Audioquest Audioquest King Cobra cables from Yahoo Japan for about $45 USD equivalent. They don't come with a box and I was sceptic.

Photos are on Audioquest King Cobra Photos by chris983 | Photobucket

Are these cables genuine or fake?

Thank you for your help

Chris

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    They look genuine. Outer cover and RCA plugs look like the King Cobras I once owned. AQ has discontinued that model and Music Direct also had them on sale.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Hi JohnMichael,

Thank you for your quick reply. THe feel and the material are telling me they're real, yet the wires inside the cables look quite different from the pictures (no matter way of connection, colors of the wires, etc)I can find on the Audioquest website that's why I was confused.

Audioquest website shows cables this way: Snakes Rivers King Cobra

THanks
    CHris

I could not get the resolution needed to see the cable itself. I did see the three solid core wires soldered to the plugs. As best as I could tell they looked like solid core and not stranded. Sometimes what happens is companies buy the bulk cable and terminate it themselves. Looking at the solder work I would say that is the case. AQ cables, AQ plugs and someone else's labor. Audio Advisor buys AQ cables themselves and terminates it for a savings.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Forum Regular
    Hi John,

Thank you very much for your follow up reply.

The wires are solid wires and not stranded. If the seller really do as you said, they buy in bulk and make the cables by themselves, that would explain why the seller has been selling that type of cable ie. King Cobra, one after one. It looks like he has got endless supply of it. Yet, the plugs do show a little sign of wear and scratch. How do they do it? Using new cables and second hand plugs to make them?

You may now find more close shots of the cables on the same place so you can tell if their genuine.

Audioquest King Cobra Photos by chris983 | Photobucket

Yet, there are some people who said that there shouldn't be anyone who would bother to fake an IC which costs only 150USD. But, as far as I have seen, there really are fake King Cobras on the market.

Thanks
    Chris
    Last edited by chris9; 07-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael View Post
    I could not get the resolution needed to see the cable itself. I did see the three solid core wires soldered to the plugs. As best as I could tell they looked like solid core and not stranded. Sometimes what happens is companies buy the bulk cable and terminate it themselves. Looking at the solder work I would say that is the case. AQ cables, AQ plugs and someone else's labor. Audio Advisor buys AQ cables themselves and terminates it for a savings.
    This is what makes me leary of AudioQuest cables: you're not quite sure what your getting. Retail vendor-terminated cables might work great -- or not.
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-14-2014 at 03:24 AM.

Forum Regular
    Hi Feanor,

Yeah, it's really frastrating, and it's a perfect example of love and hate too!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    This is what makes me leary of AudioQuest cables: you're not quite sure what your getting. Retail vendor-terminated cables might work great -- or not.

I bought a pair of AQ bi-wire Slates from AA and one of the bananas pulled off due to poor soldering. Yes we have no bananas. I did send back one length of my factory terminated and packaged Rocket 44's due to a broken banana. AQ ended up changing all the bananas and sent the bananas back with the repaired cable. Good service.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Here is the reality of any cable. You are never sure of what you are getting, or that you are getting what is advertised. The marketing departments push one set of claims, and economics and profit have another push which does not always align with the advertising department. Lots of claims, no validation of actual performance.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

My AQ speaker cables and IC and XLR cables are all from AQ and not store terminated. Their is an obvious level of quality that the store terminated cables do not match.

AQ is one of the few companies that show exactly what is in the cable. They also state the level of copper used or silver if one of their top cables. You can see how the cable is constructed of individually insulated solid core wire. How those wires are positioned in the cable. AQ seems like a transparent manufacturer.
    Last edited by JohnMichael; 08-06-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Thread Information