Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dr. E-Stat -

I may have found a solution, or something to try. It appears I can set my capacitive load with jumpers inside the box.

http://simaudio.com/pdf/MOON_LP3_Manual.pdf

"End-user adjustable impedance loading (100 and 47k ohms).
    End-user adjustable capacitance loading (0 and 100pF)."

Don't tell me yet, let me try to suggest which setting I should use. And then lmk if that sounds correct. Will post in a bit, time for shower and getting the day going.

Actually it appears there are only 2 settings.

So I am going to try moving the capacitive jumpers to to 0pF because that is closer to the BJC 12.2pF.

I can't really tell about the resistance of the BJC, here is the notes page, it seems they say they are about 75Ohms: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...sign-notes.htm

Since that is between 47-100 I'm not sure. I guess I'll just have to try both.

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Adam, take a look at these cables. I just might have to give them a listen.

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=1343

Thats $79 for the pair!

I've got a pair of silver cables from Aural Thrills. List was $499. In my opinion silver is best used with gear that's bass heavy as the silver kinda shields the bottom end a bit. The silver will give you very good mid and a very detailed high end, but it seems to tame the bottom.

frenchmon

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    I've got a pair of silver cables from Aural Thrills. List was $499. In my opinion silver is best used with gear that's bass heavy as the silver kinda shields the bottom end a bit. The silver will give you very good mid and high end, but it seems to tame the bottom.

frenchmon
    That is interesting. I'll have to hear how my system sounds after I play with the Phono Stage settings and after the ICs JohnMichael is going to let me try. If none of those tame the bass, maybe best to give the silver cables a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You know, for vinyl conversion, my Bellari 130 and Shure pre-amps are too aggressive sounding.
    Hmmm. I wouldn't characterize that combo as aggressive sounding in my system. I would use the term "mellow" as compared to the greater clarity of the Audio Research / Dynavector combo. It's sins are more of omission. Could be a loading issue. You may also be hearing the hard, bright manifestation of RFI which is highly present near computers. I run the Bellari through a conditioner and use shielded ICs.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    Actually it appears there are only 2 settings. So I am going to try moving the capacitive jumpers to to 0pF because that is closer to the BJC 12.2pF.
    It looks like I didn't explain the situation very clearly. What you want is to achieve a total of somewhere between 250 and 300 pF of capacitance between the phono preamp's loading and that of the cable. Less than that is bad. More than that is bad. This is a Goldilocks scenario where the sweet spot is somewhere around 250-300 pF. If your BJC's are 1 meter, that represents only about 40 pF. You need at least 210 more. I think you'll still be short choosing 100 pF as the starting point for the preamp loading. You would then need for the BJC cable to be about four meters long. Alternatively, you may need to add a loading capacitor to the preamp. Or try some higher cap cables (but not crappy ones).

I can't really tell about the resistance of the BJC
    Don't worry about resistance in this case. It is all about capacitance and a characteristic that really has no metric per se, shielding. Which, BTW, the BJC cable does well.

rw

That is interesting. I'll have to hear how my system sounds after I play with the Phono Stage settings and after the ICs JohnMichael is going to let me try. If none of those tame the bass, maybe best to give the silver cables a chance.
    The only time I ever heard Monitor Audio was when I live in Carolina. Tweeters had just bought out one of the local audio shops that carried MA speakers. I had a chance to listen to the floor stander and stand monitors. I think both pair came with some plugs for the ported hole in the back of the speakers. Well my impression of both the floorstanders and the stand monitors where that they both where heavy in the bottom end. Silver may be just what you need. Also...the BJC you have are a new cable...they may settle down after a little burn in...but not every one believes in burn in.

frenchmon

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Hmmm. I wouldn't characterize that combo as aggressive sounding in my system. I would use the term "mellow" as compared to the greater clarity of the Audio Research / Dynavector combo. It's sins are more of omission. Could be a loading issue. You may also be hearing the hard, bright manifestation of RFI which is highly present near computers. I run the Bellari through a conditioner and use shielded ICs.

rw
    Perhaps aggressive was a poor choice, harsh maybe? I hooked up a basic line level pre-amp, you know the 24.99 type and I got instant results. I have been working on a project for the better part of a month now, I have figured out Audacity but there was definitely as issue in terms of sound. I have an old Shure M65 and of course the Bellari. This issue is only present for recordings E-Stat. Playback is great and sounds wonderful...perhaps there is more to Audacity that I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon
    The only time I ever heard Monitor Audio was when I live in Carolina. Tweeters had just bought out one of the local audio shops that carried MA speakers. I had a chance to listen to the floor stander and stand monitors. I think both pair came with some plugs for the ported hole in the back of the speakers. Well my impression of both the floorstanders and the stand monitors where that they both where heavy in the bottom end. Silver may be just what you need. Also...the BJC you have are a new cable...they may settle down after a little burn in...but not every one believes in burn in.

frenchmon
    Well, I not sure if I can say they are bass heavy or not compared to others in the price range, but I can say at the moment, with the new TT and phono amp and BJC the bass is way more present than with the TT phono and Monoprice cables, or compared to either CD player I have. But it is very detailed, with the bungs in the speakers. Would be wonderful if listened to rap, reggae, drum&bass, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    It looks like I didn't explain the situation very clearly. What you want is to achieve a total of somewhere between 250 and 300 pF of capacitance between the phono preamp's loading and that of the cable. Less than that is bad. More than that is bad. This is a Goldilocks scenario where the sweet spot is somewhere around 250-300 pF. If your BJC's are 1 meter, that represents only about 40 pF. You need at least 210 more. I think you'll still be short choosing 100 pF as the starting point for the preamp loading. You would then need for the BJC cable to be about four meters long. Alternatively, you may need to add a loading capacitor to the preamp. Or try some higher cap cables (but not crappy ones).

Don't worry about resistance in this case. It is all about capacitance and a characteristic that really has no metric per se, shielding. Which, BTW, the BJC cable does well.

rw
    Thanks E-Stat, I understand better now. Funny how the guys at the hifi shop didn't go into that with me. oh well...

Suspended
    Be sure to post back Blackraven, that should be an interesting shoot out.

i just got on a loan a set up Granite Audio #470 IC cables. Dang things MSRP at almost the price of the Rega P3/24. Will be interesting to hear what they sound like. So, that is what I am going to go do.

Here's another review comparing BJC's to AQ copperheads.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63595
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Interesting, he came to pretty much my conclusion when I compared BJC to Transparent. Except I never found the BJC to allow "flabby" bass. The better cables gave better definition in the bottom end and allowed more bass in my comparison. He was using Jolida so it may be the BJC was still accurate and the AQ just tightened things up a bit.

Any way the BJC are good cables for the money and do fine up to a point or a certain level of gear, this to be determined by owner.

I've the the BJC in my PS1 at the moment. Haven't had a chance to sit down a listen, been cleaning the apt. But from quick observation, I had to put the bungs in the bass port of the speakers. I think in my set up, the BJC makes things bass heavier.

I'am going to play around with stuff in a bit, and do an A/B comparison to the Monoprice. As well compare the two CD players I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Interesting, he came to pretty much my conclusion when I compared BJC to Transparent. Except I never found the BJC to allow "flabby" bass. The better cables gave better definition in the bottom end and allowed more bass in my comparison.
    I don't understand that either. I don't see how IC's can make bass flabby.
    My good friend is using a pair of BJC's instead of his $350pr MIT cables. We cant tell the difference between the 2 in his system. He's using a Bell's hotrod amp, audioresearch hybrid pre, marantz sa8001 cdp and PSB synchrony's.

With that being said, I'm ordering a pair of BJC's today. I'll give a review on them as well.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I've got some 12 gauge speaker cable right now. I think I'll just get a set of spade and banana ends and terminate them correctly. I've got a bunch of CAT5 around that I was going to try to weave into some speaker cable at some point. I'll see how that goes.
    A word to the wise. The full bore (54 strand?) CAT-5 speaker is highly capacitive/reactive and can cause ultrasonic instability in some amps. My Adcom GFA-545's did not like it. My Haflers and Dyna's had no problem. I had to install Zobel networks in the cables to cure the instability. I no longer use them. I'm currently using DH Labs Silver Sonic T-14. I'm very satisfied with its sound and the price ($250 6Ft pair) is IMO quite reasonable for Continuous Crystal Silver plated Copper.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    There should be a difference between BJC and MIT, I wonder what the problem is. MIT is similar to Transparent as those who started Transparent came from MIT. Even though I had entry level Transparent the difference between that and BJC was obvious and that's with using an Adcom amp. Well, I also used a headphone amp and other tests but it was still obvious with the Adcom. Isn't the Belles tubed? I wonder if that's it? But it shouldn't be if it's a revealing tube amp. I don't have a problem discerning differences when switching things in the CJ system. I did not like the synergy with Transparent in the CJ system though.

It just depends on what he meant by "flabby". I know when we put the Monoprice in the system the bass became a murky bass blob in comparison to the detail we were able to hear in the BJC. He did mention the AQ tightened up the bass so maybe he just meant with BJC it was looser or thicker sounding.

Suspended
    BTW, good info JoeE

Mr. P, the Belles amp is SS. Honest we could not hear any difference between the cable's so he just left the BJC's in place. I'm going to ask him if I can try out the MIT cables if he is not using them in his new HT set up in his basement. If I can borrow them I'll try them in my system. It could be that our 50 year old ears! I know my high freq. hearing is not what it once was.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Blackraven if you can typically hear differences between brands your hearing is probably as good as any one. I believe you, it's just odd. I'm assuming you all know the MIT are directional due to the networks?

I'm a little late to the party, but I have two comments:

1. Weakest link definitely applies when evaluating cables. i.e. truly first class cables tend to run in the $500/meter and up. Don't buy these for a Radio Shack receiver you wont hear any improvement over moderately priced cables. On the other hand if you have a $10,000 system, I'd stay away from the $75 cables.

2. For the DIY builder, the dielectric constant for cotton is low only for an expanded cotton like a cotton ball. This kind of cotton is mostly air, hence the nice low dielectric constant. For a pure cotton rope, tightly woven I think you'll find it's closer to 2.0.

Having tried various DIY cables, I think you find that a pure silver conductor, a foamed Teflon dielectric, a nice outer wrap and some really good RCA jacks gets you into a price range that is competitive with some of the more expensive commercial cables.

Happy listening.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information