Forum Regular

IC for Krell Pre to Rogue?

I've got a weird one here, as per usual. I'm looking for an interconnect to go between a Krell Ksp-7B pre to Rogue stereo 90. Mainly dynamic, and fast with out being too hard. I've not been lucky so far. My silver Goertz is very good in the mids and highs but lacks bottom authority. Listened to a Shunyata aries. Very transparent but I thought it was analytical.

Any suggestions? Just so it doesn't cost what I'd pay for a small car.

Thanks

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by heywood
    I've got a weird one here, as per usual. I'm looking for an interconnect to go between a Krell Ksp-7B pre to Rogue stereo 90. Mainly dynamic, and fast with out being too hard. I've not been lucky so far. My silver Goertz is very good in the mids and highs but lacks bottom authority. Listened to a Shunyata aries. Very transparent but I thought it was analytical.

Thanks
    ...I always like to start the week with a good laugh...Not slow or soft...maybe just opaque and illogical?

Wire will not provide "bottom authority", although too small a gauge over too great a distance will tend to roll-off highs...so cutting back on hi-freqs can provide what seems to be more low end...but at a price...Attenuating the high freqs will affect your overall tonal balance AND image...And that's all you can do..cut...as wires are not tone controls or subwoofers...Does Shunyata still sell their proprietary "Stardust"?

jimHJJ(...ahh...the wonderful world of words...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Linear Guy

heal thyself

[QUOTE=heywood]I've got a weird one here, as per usual. I'm looking for an interconnect to go between a Krell Ksp-7B pre to Rogue stereo 90. Mainly dynamic, and fast with out being too hard. I've not been lucky so far. My silver Goertz is very good in the mids and highs but lacks bottom authority. Listened to a Shunyata aries. Very transparent but I thought it was analytical.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

My suggestion is to stop trying to push your gear into a better sound by stepping up and up and up in cables. I am currently in a 12 step program to cure myself of that affliction. Find a nice cheap uncolored IC and live with it. Audioquest Diamondback might be the ticket at about 95.00 for a 1m pair. There are many cheaper and probably just as good.

Suspended
    Our Krell dealer swears by Transparent. When I tried Transparent speakers connects for the first time, the improvement in bass was one of the first things I noticed. The bass response was tighter with more detail. I started using Siltech's New Yorker in the Pro MXT series with my Conrad Johnson gear. The NY'er was more expensive than the Transparent speaker connect I was using but it was also a pretty big improvement. Siltech maintained a good bass response but the noise level was reduced and the mids and highs were great. A RCA IC in Siltech's New Yorker series will run about $300.00 one meter. The speaker connects depend on length. I think the entry Transparent IC one meter is $75 or $80.00 while a speaker set may be around $150.00.

One thing about Siltech, the New Yorker is tried and true, I bought an older series speaker connect first and it was good in mids and highs but totally lacked bass. I returned them and paid the difference to get the NY'er. Transparent seems to be more consistent with similar characteristics between levels, just improvements as you go up.

www.transparentcable.com I think, I don't remember Siltech's site but you can Google it.

Interesting mix, Krell and tubes, especially with tubes for power.

Forum Regular

I second the Transparent

The Siltech New Yorker definitely had great bass but I found it soft in the highs in my system. I liked it but it just didn't seem "transparent" if you'll pardon the pun.

I'd go with Transparent cables. As you said, the basic sound is the same - just more resolution, weight and slam as you go up the scale (although I didn't go that far up). I preferred the Cardas Neutral Reference but I'm not sure how it would do with a solid state pre and a tubed power amp.
    Form is out. Content makes its own form.
    -Sam Rivers

The format doesn't matter. The music is all that matters.
    - Musicoverall

Thread Information