Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Cables matter more in analog especially if you are introducing more than 60dB+ of gain from the source.

cartridges => tonearm cable => SUT/Phono Pre=>...... any cabling attempts beyond that seems worthless if you don't start off correctly. With that said, components affect sound more than cables. Upgrade anyone?

JRA

Oh yeah, that and digital stuff.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    The fuel ratings in France (like most other countries I've been to aside USA) are 95, 98 & sometimes 100. I'm not quite sure why this is higher than in the US. Me thinks the octane in US & French petrol is no different, and I am mostly right, as I've just done a wiki search. US 91 is equivalent to Euro 95.
    Because the US uses the AKI (Anti Knock Index), and Europe use the RON (Research Octane Number), there is also the MON (Motor Octane Number).

Suspended
    Just what I always wanted in an audio forum, all I didn't know I need to know about gasoline.

Forum Regular
    As far as cables go, there's a lot of opportunist out there, and very little to no proof that a $1000+ per meter cable is any better outside of aesthetics than the $3 per roll Monoprice cable. I have no problem with someone paying a million dollars if they want for cables, it's people with their the voodoo claims to sucker people into paying for over priced hoopla with zero evidence to back up anything other than the silver tongue of some "golden ear" reviewer with a vest interest blathering on about how "chocolatey", or "3 dimensional" some cable made their system sound, that are annoying. None of them seem willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Forum Regular
    Cabling has standards and specs for a reason. It does make a difference, so NOT going on the cheap in smart. By the same token, "free enterprise" will for sure "Take It to the Limit" one more time. They can really twist facts around like used car salesmen till you can easily be convinced to spend 50% of your gear $$ on cabling. So all the above is true, right !?

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Any of you guys tried coat hangers?

consumerist.com/2008/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables.html

Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    Any of you guys tried coat hangers?

Yes! The wood ones have a very acoustic sound.

Forum Regular
    I totally agree ,especially with speaker wires,although the longer the run the heavier the gauge should be, but these people that show me their Arc Welding cables they bought for running their speakers --- ???? Could have used that money elsewhere. I beleive the most important pieces in an audio system is the signal source(and the low power signal lines in it.) and the speakers.
    Last edited by ArKay QAtech; 08-02-2011 at 11:39 AM.

I think I will stand in the middle with this one. I think a person needs to buy the best cables and interconnects that they can afford with the equipment they have and not go overboard and spend on cable what they spent on equipment. There is a difference in sound quality with cables but If you have a $10,000 system then it does not make sense to spend more on cables.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information