Thread: I don't get it.

Forum Regular

I don't get it.

I just bought a pair of Dynaudio speakers. The speaker cable I am using is 16 AWG cable purchased at R.S. Speakers sound great.
    My questions are these:
    If speaker cables can have a minor to major effect on the sound of a speaker then why wouldn't a company like Dynaudio, or any company for that matter, provide a cable that brings out the best of their speakers? Dynaudio's flagship speakers retails for @ $100,000.00. Does anyone really believe Dynaudio feels a speaker cable can change any part of the sound of that speaker?
    I could go on, but I think that is enough for now.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say!

So it's your understanding no speaker manufacturer has an opinion on speaker cable?

My system uses Naim NACA5 speaker cabling... the vast majority of Naim users who have tried alternatives have found NACA5 to be by far the best in Naim systems (with Naim speakers or any other brand). I can't say I've tried any alternatives, but it was fairly reasonably priced at $10/ft so who am I to argue.

(also there is a whole bunch of voodoo involved, like having a minimum of 3.5M per run and ensuring you use NACA5 for operational stability of the amp due to some electrical characteristics of the cable)

cheers,
    elapsed
    Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2 speakers
    Naim CD5x cd player
    Naim NAC 122x pre-amp
    Naim NAP 150x poweramp
    Naim FlatCap-2x power supply
    Naim Stageline N phono stage
    Naim NACA5 speaker cabling
    Naim Hi-Line interconnect
    Chord Crimson interconnects
    Rega Planar 3 turntable
    Goldring 1042 cartridge
    Squeezebox 3
    Oppo DV-983H dvd player
    Harmony 890 remote
    Quadraspire Q4 shelving
    Wiremold L10320 power strip

System Picture #1 | System Picture #2 | System Design

Forum Regular
    Yep. I have never read or heard of any manufacturer suggest that in order to get the best from their product you need to use speaker cable A, B, or C. I have seen the write about speaker break in, placement, and room acoustics, but never about cables. If you have please pass on that information.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say!

I have not seen them recommend a specific cable, but I have not seen them recommend a source component, either. That doesn't mean they don't consider the issue to be important. I downloaded a Focal manual just now and while it didn't specify cable it stated that one should not underestimate the importance of the cable. In a Dynaudio manual I downloaded it said cable can have a dramatic impact on the sound quality.

Thread Information