AR Newbie Registered Member

Recommendation for modest surround speaker cable

Hello-
    I'm looking to buy cable for surround speakers (in a 5.1 system), and I'd love a recommendation. I'm fairly new to the game and I'm starting a modest system - I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, NHT SB-2 fronts and a SC-1 center, a HSU woofer, and I just acquired a pair of SuperOnes for surrounds.
    I understand there is a somewhat fiery debate going on about the validity of high-priced "audiophile" speaker cable as compared to cheaper, generic cable, and I don't want to sidestep it completely, but I don't have the free time to really ardently get into it. So, if someone is willing, I'd love a reccomendation on a 25ft. pair of cables for surrounds on a modest system such as mine (I use it heavily for HT, and for listening to mostly classical music (although soft rock is a close second)). I'm looking at Monster MC and Z1 (I can't really afford to do a 25ft. run of Z2), and I'm wondering if anyone has experience enough to let me know what kind of difference I would be hearing between the two (I've read the differences, and I can't yet translate the differences in construction/specs into audible/practical differences, if they really are somewhat noticeable). Also, if someone has a recommendation for a different brand that I could use for that purpose that would be on par for quality/price (I'm willing to spend up to about $150), I'm all ears!!!
    Thanks in advance-

-Joe M.

Once you get past the petty name calling, you should be able to discern some fairly reasonable answers here. Unfortunatly, when discussing cables some must resort to name calling and putting others down for having different opinions.

to biwire or not.. also seeking alternative to Monster Cable

Monster cables are too expensive for what they do. You will paying more for marketing than the cable itself. Here is site that offer quality speaker cables at affordable price, and very fast service too.

I would purchase Belden 5000 for shorter runs ($0.39 per/F), and Canare 4S11 ($1.05 per/F) for longer runs. Both are quality cables

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Forum Regular

Hear a difference?

I started off thinking cables made a difference, after extensive research and experimentation I have found 12 AWG lamp cord from any hardware store for .30/ft works just as good if not better than any speakers cable on the market.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mignas
    Hello-
    I'm looking to buy cable for surround speakers (in a 5.1 system), and I'd love a recommendation. I'm fairly new to the game and I'm starting a modest system - I have a Yamaha RX-V1400 receiver, NHT SB-2 fronts and a SC-1 center, a HSU woofer, and I just acquired a pair of SuperOnes for surrounds.
    I understand there is a somewhat fiery debate going on about the validity of high-priced "audiophile" speaker cable as compared to cheaper, generic cable, and I don't want to sidestep it completely, but I don't have the free time to really ardently get into it. So, if someone is willing, I'd love a reccomendation on a 25ft. pair of cables for surrounds on a modest system such as mine (I use it heavily for HT, and for listening to mostly classical music (although soft rock is a close second)). I'm looking at Monster MC and Z1 (I can't really afford to do a 25ft. run of Z2), and I'm wondering if anyone has experience enough to let me know what kind of difference I would be hearing between the two (I've read the differences, and I can't yet translate the differences in construction/specs into audible/practical differences, if they really are somewhat noticeable). Also, if someone has a recommendation for a different brand that I could use for that purpose that would be on par for quality/price (I'm willing to spend up to about $150), I'm all ears!!!
    Thanks in advance-

-Joe M.

There is no debate on cables. Some just cannot accept reality. No difference from evolution.

the above recommendations are good. To that you can ad cables from Home Depot if one is close to you. Their 12 ga or 14 ga speaker cable is fine, or even their low voltage landscape wire is just fine as well.

With the mone left over, you can donate to a worthy charity or buy more audio or video software
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    It seems to me that to debate the merits of audio cables on this thread is pointless. From your question, you have evidently already made up your mind that you want to buy out of the ordinary cables even if they are more expensive than what you will find at Home Depot and it's just a question of what brand and which model. Given that, I would solicit advice from Cable Asylum where the debate over the merits of these cables doesn't even seem to me to be permitted as it is taken as a foregone conclusion that they have merit. Unfortunately, you may get as many different answers as there are posters willing to give advice.

You might consider this one thought however before you part with your money. Even among the most serious and respected advocates of the benefits of these cables, they would almost always tell you that the differences are subtle, that they only manifest themselves in certain situations with certain associated equipment, and that for surround speakers in a relatively modestly priced sound system they will not likely provide much if any usable benefit. Short of believing that, you will ultimately get a flood of advice, much of it different and confusing, and if you do decide to experiment on your own, you can spend the rest of your life swapping out these cables trying to decide for yourself which ones are best.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Careful, careful...good sir Beckman...

...that sorta' sounds like a claim...some might take exception to it...

I am also of the opinion that, in my system at least, esoteric cabling and wire seems to have made no significant difference...been there, done that (to some slight degree). I use "only" Phillips, RCA, TEAC lo-cap, Discwasher, some of the better grade(IME) OEM ICs and 50ft/ch of 10ga P.A. zip...but then again, I don't own a high-resolution $OTA system, only a mediocre($5k in circa late 70s dollars), "mid-fi" rig, completely incapable of reproducing the deep bass of organ pedal notes or presenting an excellent image and natural soundstage...funny that tho' as I DO hear 'em!

jimHJJ(...just my anecdotal flights of fancy I'd guess...I'll assume the same goes for you?...)
    Last edited by Resident Loser; 06-04-2004 at 04:16 AM. Reason: add ID

Forum Regular
    I like Tony's suggestion. I believe Bluejeans cable has a money-back guarantee, so you can return thier cables if you don't like them. Bare wire terminations would be OK, but the speaker terminals in the back of the Yamaha are close together, so bananna plugs on the cables for the knob terminals might make your job easier.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...that sorta' sounds like a claim...some might take exception to it...

I am also of the opinion that, in my system at least, esoteric cabling and wire seems to have made no significant difference...been there, done that (to some slight degree). I use "only" Phillips, RCA, TEAC lo-cap, Discwasher, some of the better grade(IME) OEM ICs and 50ft/ch of 10ga P.A. zip...but then again, I don't own a high-resolution $OTA system, only a mediocre($5k in circa late 70s dollars), "mid-fi" rig, completely incapable of reproducing the deep bass of organ pedal notes or presenting an excellent image and natural soundstage...funny that tho' as I DO hear 'em!

jimHJJ(...just my anecdotal flights of fancy I'd guess...I'll assume the same goes for you?...)
    ...funny that tho' as I DO hear 'em!

That's those placebos.

Thread Information