Forum Regular

How to measure speaker wires gauge?

How do I know the gauge of a set of speaker's wires if just by looking at it? Or how to measure it? What size of speaker's wires do I need for a set of Infinity IL50 about 6 ft. from the receiver?

If you really want to know...

check out these pages at this site.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...les/cables.htm

Unlike other sites, this one actually gets under the hood, gets dirty and scrapes knuckles instead of simply reading and believing the fluff advertisments manufacturer's put out.

What's funny is that one of the best measuring cables is one that many laugh about. And, as if this was not enough, it pretty well proves that price has little bearing on their performance.

Forum Regular
    Frankly I determined gauge size by reading the package label. I don't mean to be sarcastic, simply that I just never had to figure it out independently before. If you've got some speaker cable that you're unsure of then I'd suggest going to a local store like Home Depot, Lowes or Radio Shack and comparing what you have to the various cable sizes that they stock. While I'm sure that there are measuring devices or size charts you really don't need them. As far as what is necessary for your speakers, basic wire like that available at the above stores is perfectly fine. Gauges from 16 to 12 are right for you. Personally I like 14 gauge because it's nice and thick but will easily make a connection in almost any type of connector that will accept bare wire. Whatever length you make your cables lay them out so they do not coil up and they should work quite well.

Forum Regular
    I would go with 12 to 16 AWG as suggested. The gauge size of wire originated in the 13th century. Wire was drawn through a large hole, then a smaller hole, then a smaller hole, etc. Originaly the gauge represented the number of holes the wire had to be drawn through. This is why the thinest wire has the largest number.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckman
    The gauge size of wire originated in the 13th century. Wire was drawn through a large hole, then a smaller hole, then a smaller hole, etc. Originaly the gauge represented the number of holes the wire had to be drawn through. This is why the thinest wire has the largest number.
    Interesting derivation.

rw

wow! I didnt know that...

Forum Regular
    The easiest way is to buy a foot of #12, a foot of #14, a foot of #16 and a foot of #18. Take them home strip the ends and just compare
    Norm Strong [normanstrong@comcast.net]

Thread Information