Forum Regular

Question HDMI In > Component Video Out

Will there be a noticable downgrade in quality when you have HDMI Input going to Component Video Output?

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what devices can accomplish this?

I know some receivers and such can upconvert component to HDMI, but I can't recall any that downconvert.

Suspended
    My receiver can't, and as has been discussed before, it's not likely any such animal exists. Ace, you'll have to tell us what type of device you're talking about.

Wait a minute. Why is this posted in Cables?

Forum Regular
    I have a DVD Recorder which has, among other connections, HDMI OUT my TV's highest INPUT quality is Component Video IN. I was wondering if I connected the HDMI OUT from the DVD R into my Yamaha RX-V861, then connect Component Video OUT from the Receiver into the TV. Would this degrad the picture quality or even if I would get video at all form this connection?

I presently have Component Video OUT from the DVD R into the Yamaha and Component Video OUT form the Yamaha into the TV. I was just curious if I would even get video with this connection. My equipment is such that getting behind all this equipment to do the connectioons takes some doing thus I wanted to know what to expect before tackling this "job".

You might aswell use component throughout. No point on using the HDMI, unless you can connect it directly to the TV (if the TV has an HDMI input).

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    I have a DVD Recorder which has, among other connections, HDMI OUT my TV's highest INPUT quality is Component Video IN. I was wondering if I connected the HDMI OUT from the DVD R into my Yamaha RX-V861, then connect Component Video OUT from the Receiver into the TV. Would this degrad the picture quality or even if I would get video at all form this connection?
    My (our) guess is you'll get nada out of this but, hey, what do we know. Read your manual. that should tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

If your TV's highest input is component anyway, why even jerk around with HDMI in the first place? Don't you have enough problems already?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    If your TV's highest input is component anyway, why even jerk around with HDMI in the first place? Don't you have enough problems already?
    You have such a way with words Mark.
    This is the new generation of Yamaha RX-V's right? I looked on the Yamaha website for this receiver; it will upconvert up to 1080i from component in to HDMI out, but if it's anything like the rest of the RX-Vxxxx line, it won't convert HDMI to component. That would be self-defeating it seems to me. My manual clearly states in a couple of places that it won't place anything at the HDMI inputs onto a component video output that can then be connected to a TV.

As mentioned Ace, it would be best to keep it as component throughout. Besides, HDMI cables aren't cheap.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the input.

Thread Information