Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular

AC Power Cable suggestions please

I'm interested in buying a replacement power cable for my Cambride Audio D500 CD player but don't know which to go with. I got it for $200 so there is no way in hell I'm spending more than that on a power cable. I'd like to stay under $100 if at all possible. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Forum Regular
    The most helpful advice that I (or anyone else) could give you is to run - don't walk away from the entire idea of "after-market power cords". They will not (cannot) improve sonic performance of a component - whether a CD player, a DVD player, a preamp, a power amp, an integrated amp, a receiver, a tape deck, a VCR, a turntable ..... none of them.

You've evidently been conned into believing in a fairy tale - a hoax - a myth. Save your money to spend on something - anything that will actually DO something to enhance the pleasure you derive from your system ... a power cord, no matter how exotic or expensive will not do anything for you (other than lightening your wallet). In other words ...

FUGGITABOUDIT!
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular

Judge for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanFan
    I'm interested in buying a replacement power cable for my Cambride Audio D500 CD player but don't know which to go with. I got it for $200 so there is no way in hell I'm spending more than that on a power cable. I'd like to stay under $100 if at all possible. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    My Signal Cable power cord from the wall outlet to my Rotel RA-972 integrated amp made much more of an improvement than upgrades in interconnects and speaker cables combined. I doubted this power cord would make a difference, but the improvement in bass compared to the stock cord was surprising. The Signal Cable power cord is available from the maker online for $59 with a 30-day money back guarantee. Other firms selling cords for moderate prices include VH audio (web site), and Zu Cable (ebay auctions). However, I am mentioning these three firms only as examples, and am not recommending that you buy their products.

My limited experience with after market power cords is that they are system specific. Another comparably priced cord ($60) I tried with the Rotel amp didn't seem to be any better than the stock cord. And some models of amps, preamps, and CD players may not benefit from after market cords at all. Therefore, If you spend much, it's a good idea to get a money back guarantee.

A budget power cord which seems to be well thought of over at the Audio Asylum cable forum is the Volex 17604, which is a 14-awg shielded model of 2 meter length. Newark Electronics (check their web site) sells this cord for $5.65, but they have a $5.00 service charge for orders under $25.00. You may be able to find the Volex or a comparable cord elsewhere.
    Last edited by okiemax; 01-15-2004 at 02:20 AM. Reason: addendum

No doubt you will hear from the peanut gallery here that conventional wisdown suggests that once you satisfy the current requirements of a power cord, then that is all that you can achieve.

Well, Mr. Audio Elitist (the moniker that Zapped by Jitter has bestowed upon me) has a different perspective. Not to mention that of EEs who actually design and produce very successful components such as Ole Lund Christensen of GamuT, Luke Manley of VTL, Jud Barber of Joule Electra, just to mention a few, as opposed to the armchair set here who produce.... well nothing. Those who work with the best components suggest that there are a number of household devices as well as other audio components that introduce noise in the AC line. Better AC cords (or conditioners if you will) filter such garbage and improve the audio signal.

If you are willing to throw away $20, (and have a working knowledge of electrical wiring*) then build yourself an aftermarket 14 gauge cable using good connectors such as those from Leviton and Shurter. Determine for yourself the benefit (or lack thereof). Doing said on my Pioneer PD-54 CDP yielded a quieter (blacker) background.

Report your results, regardless of the outcome.

*Lest I speak the obvious

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 01-15-2004 at 09:04 AM.

Forum Regular
    Just more audio voodoo being marketed with after market cables. If the component you have has inferior power cables why did you buy that junk? How do you know it is well designed in the first place if the designer cannot even design the right power cord?

Sell it, throw in on the junk pile and get a good CD player.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular

Not to mention that of EEs who actually design and produce very successful components such as Ole Lund Christensen of GamuT, Luke Manley of VTL, Jud Barber of Joule Electra, just to mention a few,

Successful? In what way? Marketing? Selling? Yes, that is one way to be successful.
    Perhaps these designers know how to please the audiophile community and know which side their bread is buttered, nothing more. Doesn't attest to the need for different powercords. I am interested if they actually published anything in a Journal about such a need? Or, do they just BS a lot about it? NO, that EE is not a guarantee and immunity from bs, voodoo, etc.

Those who work with the best components suggest that there are a number of household devices as well as other audio components that introduce noise in the AC line. Better AC cords (or conditioners if you will) filter such garbage and improve the audio signal.

Oh, now their cord filtes?
    Perhaps, if they were such good designers, they would place the filter where it should be, inside the chassis?
    Besides, how do you know they are the best components? What is you basis? Price? Fame? Acceptance by the audiophiles?

If you are willing to throw away $20, then build yourself an aftermarket 14 gauge cable using good connectors such as those from Leviton and Shurter. Determine for yourself the benefit (or lack thereof). Doing said on my Pioneer PD-54 CDP yielded a quieter (blacker) background.

You got all those benefits just from those plugs? Blacker background? You could see that?
    Did you do any measurements? You know, one can imagine lots of things.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    If you are willing to throw away $20, then build yourself an aftermarket 14 gauge cable using good connectors such as those from Leviton and Shurter. Determine for yourself the benefit (or lack thereof). Doing said on my Pioneer PD-54 CDP yielded a quieter (blacker) background.
    Here's the best advice you will get here. Whatever you decide to do, the last thing you want to try is a DIY power cord. DON'T DO IT! The fact that it will not improve anything including filtering noise notwithstanding, unlike making your own speaker cables or interconnects which at worst will result in expensive damage to your equipment, manufacturing your own power cable risks real safety hazards. Since this board is read by people with all levels of skill from those for whom such a project would be a simple job to those who barely know which end of a screwdriver is the handle, I must assume the worst case. IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN AND SOMEONE GETS HURT BECAUSE OF AN ELECTRICAL SHOCK OR THERE IS A FIRE BECAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT CAUSED SPARKS TO IGNITE SOMETHING FLAMABLE, THEY WILL FIND YOU OUT AND YOU WILL BE IN BIG TROUBLE YOU WON'T GET OUT OF. If you MUST have an aftermarket cable, at least buy one that is UL listed. You will be throwing your money away but at least it's only a relatively small amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Successful? In what way?
    Producing highly regarded components for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Blacker background? You could see that?
    I think I might have discovered your deficiency. I listen to my audio stuff.

I'll let Ole Lund Christensen of GamuT speak to the issue.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?f...en&r=&session=

rw

Better AC cords (or conditioners if you will) filter such garbage and improve the audio signal.
    Are you confusing power cord with line conditioner/filters issue?

No body here is against using line conditioner/filters if AC power require it-such as when it is extremely dirty and/or it is wildly fluctuating. For such a situation, they are very much desirable.

So how would a power cord alone tackle the above problem by itself without the benefit of conditioner/filters?
    "Say Hello To My Little Friend."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Montana
    Are you confusing power cord with line conditioner/filters issue?
    No. Shielded cords and/or those with ferrite traps, etc. can help reduce antenna effect.

rw

Forum Regular

Angry Poor Soul

You just don't get it. Woodman and others tell you in no uncertain terms that power cords can't possibly make a difference. Your experience to the contrary is totally the result of your attitudes, beliefs and expectations.

You are a disgrace if you insist on making purchasing decisions based on your own perceptions of what improves your system, instead of what the keepers of truth dictate to you.

Please, get your act together before you contaminate this site further with your know-nothing questions and posts. You run the risk of being asked, in not very polite language, to head off to Audio Asylum with all the other know-nothing boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    You just don't get it...
    Woe is me.

You run the risk of being asked, in not very polite language, to head off to Audio Asylum with all the other know-nothing boobs.
    I thought only JR did such things !

rw

Quite a pickle!

You just don't get it. Woodman and others tell you in no uncertain terms that power cords can't possibly make a difference. Your experience to the contrary is totally the result of your attitudes, beliefs and expectations.

You are a disgrace if you insist on making purchasing decisions based on your own perceptions of what improves your system, instead of what the keepers of truth dictate to you.

Please, get your act together before you contaminate this site further with your know-nothing questions and posts. You run the risk of being asked, in not very polite language, to head off to Audio Asylum with all the other know-nothing boobs.
    You must be bored.

Following your perceptions can get quite(some might say needlessly) expensive if you have no actual knowledge of how to interpret those perceptions.
    Last edited by Rockwell; 01-15-2004 at 05:46 PM.
    "You two are a regular ol' Three Musketeers."

No. Shielded cords and/or those with ferrite traps, etc. can help reduce antenna effect.
    Well if that is the case, wouldn't we be better off buying a quality conditioner/filter such as one from Isobar that sell for around $50-100 rather than buy a PC cord with $1 ferrite trap?

And how much of shielded PC cord will be since AC power is already contaminated with miles and miles of wire that precede it. Typically on average, distortion on home AC power is around 5%. This distortion caused by draw power at the peak of the AC waveform-causing it to become flattened-is by various power company transformers along the way, and various power company transformers and power supplies for computers and other equipment.

So, given that the mains is distorted, and varies in amplitude from minute to minute throughout the day, no cable [alone] can tackle this problem, regardless of price (shielded or not). One will get better result with conditioners/filters or more precisely Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS). But one also have to remember that these type of devices along the AC power can create their own artifacts such as phase shift, or in case of UPS, switching noise distortion.

And to make matters even more complicated, power supply are design with variation of 10% in mind and equipments (that is worth their dime) do have a reserve power rating that can accommodate such variance. So if one thinks that by simlply buying a PC will clean up their power or improve it, is sadly mistaken

Well if that is the case, wouldn't we be better off buying a quality conditioner/filter such as one from Isobar that sell for around $50-100 rather than buy a PC cord with $1 ferrite trap?
    Such effects are cumulative. I do use a conditioner and an aftermarket cable with my turntable.

And to make matters even more complicated, power supply are design with variation of 10% in mind and equipments (that is worth their dime) do have a reserve power rating that can accommodate such variance. So if one thinks that by simlply buying a PC will clean up their power or improve it, is sadly mistaken
    Don't take it personally, but there is no such thing as "equipments". Like fish, the plural of equipment is equipment. Your comments concerning power cords naturally reflect your own opinion. My experience suggests otherwise. Tell me, what equipment do you listen to? What aftermarket cords have you auditioned?

rw

If I had a lot of experience with alchemy, would that make it real phenomenon?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell
    You must be bored.

Following your perceptions can get quite(some might say needlessly) expensive if you have no actual knowledge of how to interpret those perceptions.
    And you must be arrogant. And no doubt you will be more than happy to impart the knowledge I so sorely lack on how to interpret my perceptions.

Forum Regular
    Tell me, what equipment do you listen to? What aftermarket cords have you auditioned?

rw
    Sorry E-Stat. Discussion of actual listening experiences is not permitted on this board. Apparently you have mistaken this for an audio board.

Forum Regular

rw
    A ferrite trap is a bad idea. If the inductance of the power transformer won't filter out RF and the inductance of the transformer supplying your house won't filter it, what makes you thing adding a litttle more with a ferrite trap will make much difference. BTW, if you DIY and put one on the ground lead, you are defeating the safety ground and creating a very dangerous situation.

Forum Regular
    No body here is against using line conditioner/filters if AC power require it-such as when it is extremely dirty and/or it is wildly fluctuating. For such a situation, they are very much desirable.
    Like much else sold to audiophiles, many so called power conditioners are worthless. You really have to know what you are getting and good ones will not be cheap or light. Many are little more than a power outlet strip in fancy packaging with an MOV and maybe a small capacitor. If you are lucky, you'll get a small inductor as well. This won't do much if you have real problems. Good power conditioners will have very large and heavy iron core inductors and large capacitors. The MOV is only there to protect against a momentary spike and may not survive one itself. Good UPSs aren't cheap either. Most power related problems are filtered out by the power supplies of well made equipment. If that won't do it, what makes you think a far cheaper "power conditioner" will?

And you must be arrogant. And no doubt you will be more than happy to impart the knowledge I so sorely lack on how to interpret my perceptions.
    I was not suggesting that I have all the answers or would interpret your perceptions(though I can give it a shot ). I was suggesting that the more technical information that you(or anyone) have about the phenomena you are trying to listen for, the better you can interpret your own perceptions. Taking you, for example, you've been here for a while and know all the objectivist aguments, yet you still believe in cable sonics. Fine, but if you didn't have the benefit of that information, you would be making a less informed choice. Knowing that a power cable, from a technical perspective, is highly unlikely to produce any audible change in a system might lead you to believe that a perception might be unreliable and persue a more friutful upgrade.
    Last edited by Rockwell; 01-16-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    BTW, if you DIY and put one on the ground lead, you are defeating the safety ground and creating a very dangerous situation.
    Following your response to my first post, I qualified it with a comment that perhaps I assumed that most folks would already know. Any electrical DIY project should be done only by someone with working knowledge of wiring and at least a VOM.

I have fond memories of building Dynakits thirty years ago.

rw

A ferrite trap is a bad idea. If the inductance of the power transformer won't filter out RF and the inductance of the transformer supplying your house won't filter it, what makes you thing adding a litttle more with a ferrite trap will make much difference. BTW, if you DIY and put one on the ground lead, you are defeating the safety ground and creating a very dangerous situation.

Hang on a minute....

There are long runs of wire between your syupply transformer and your house, so there is plenty of opportunity for rf(or other high frequency noise) to get back into the house wiring. Many houses today no longer use conduit, so you have lots of unshielded wiring running everywhere acting as an antenna.

Regardless of whether the power transformer can filter out the rf, the problem is keeping it outside the equipment case in the first place. Once inside, it can radiate into sensitive circuits.

-Bruce

Tell me, what equipment do you listen to? What aftermarket cords have you auditioned?
    I don't use after market cords because I know better

But to be serious, my system is very modest indeed, and going by the "better system, better cables" rule, my system probably will not benefit from upgrading pc-or IC for that matter. But the thing that puzzle me most about upgrading PC or IC is that given the fact that moving speakers couple of inches from their place does have 100 times more effect on the sound of a system than replacing IC or PC will ever have, then why some folks still choose the ladder!!

If you look at most of reviews for cables, they always mention improvement in highs, bass, sound staging, imaging, resolution, etc... as if their system lack those qualities in the first place. What I don't understands is instead of relying on IC to magically transfer their system, why are they not looking into room acoustic, speaker placements, or more radical approach auditioning other speakers, amplifiers or components? And if all the mentioned tweaking have been done and the system is still lacking, then why not look into equalizer/parameter EQ to optimize the sound of their system?

For example, currently in the cable asylum, there is a thread by TomNY (posted January 14) saying that he paid $900 for just one IC (Pursang), and how much difference the IC made in his system. Given the fact that his speakers only cost $2000, wouldn't you agree that he will get much better [solid] results funneling that money toward new speakers, amplifiers or room treatments instead of piece of [passive] wire?

Most power related problems are filtered out by the power supplies of well made equipment. If that won't do it, what makes you think a far cheaper "power conditioner" will?
    Well, some AC problems a power supply can not overcome such as extreme fluctuation of AC. For example, there was a thread in HT forum where this guy was complaining about his light dimming when somebody was using the elevator in his building. For such instances, a power conditioner or UPS might be good idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information