Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Rich
    I was 19 in '74 and my lust and a friend of the local Crown Rep made my purchase of my 824 possible. I remember looking at the Sony 850 as well. I know this thread is from 12-2003 so it may take awhile for your reply. Maybe we have more in common. Always happy to talk to a fellow audiophile. Rich.
    Actually, it stuck out as a new entry to a really old post! The big Crown R2R decks certainly were cool back in the day. Welcome to AR.

rw

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Do you still have that sony 850? My first deck was the sony 630D. Just a deck, no speakers or amp. I thought I had truely arrived. Had a lot of fun with sound on sound. Pales in comparision to todays technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Rich
    Do you still have that sony 850?
    No. I spent an entire summer working just to buy that unit. While it was ultra cool with the backlit solenoid driven transport and ability to use the big ten inch reels, I ultimately found it to be not very practical from a music listener's standpoint. Prerecorded tapes were rare and I simply found myself recording what I had. It was soon after that I learned of far better turntables, arms, cartridges and electronics that ultimately gave me more pleasure. I ended up selling it about a year later.

rw

Forum Regular

Question Issue with Tonearm wiring.

Hello fellow audio junkies, I am still wrestling with the idea of re-wiring my new Rega/Michel
    RB250 tonearn. I am considering clipping the stock rega wires several inches from the arm base plug and grafting in some decent monster interlink from there to the phono input on the preamp (New York Audio Lab Minuet in A). Does that seem worth the trouble - given that I will have ruined the Stock Rega wiring in the process?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hubbard
    Hello fellow audio junkies, I am still wrestling with the idea of re-wiring my new Rega/Michel
    RB250 tonearn. I am considering clipping the stock rega wires several inches from the arm base plug and grafting in some decent monster interlink from there to the phono input on the preamp (New York Audio Lab Minuet in A). Does that seem worth the trouble - given that I will have ruined the Stock Rega wiring in the process?

One thing the stock Rega wiring harness does not need is more solder joints. If you want to improve the performance google Incognito wiring harness. The original wires in the Rega are soldered to the cartridge clips, then soldered to thin wires just inside the arm behind where the cartridge mounts, again soldered to larger wires again at the base of the arm and last to the rca plugs. The Incognito are soldered only at the cartridge clips and the rca jacks and the wire is continuous in length and guage all the rest of the way.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Blast from the past

This thread revival is a blast from the past. Mtrycraft, skeptic: EGADS!!

Those hyperobjectives long since bailed from AR forums -- for better or worse.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    This thread revival is a blast from the past. Mtrycraft, skeptic: EGADS!!

Those hyperobjectives long since bailed from AR forums -- for better or worse.
    Fun stuff. I started my time having fun with those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hubbard
    My RB300 has the Incognito wiring along with the VTA adjuster, new weight and stub. All of the mods were worth the money. If you are going to do what you are thinking then you should get the Incognito wiring.
    All my cables are Kimber Silver Streak except the tonearm cable. It's a TAK-H. It has the same construction as the Silver Streak stuff. Silver conductor with copper ground and drain.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information