Goodbye, cruel world!

Bye, everyone. It's been fun!
    "You two are a regular ol' Three Musketeers."

WAAAAA!!! Rules!!

no fair! I'm taking my ball and going home!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ericl

Let me see. You just posted the rules:

1. First and foremost, be civil and respectful at all times:

Treat others as you would have them treat you.

or generally act like a jerk.

Interesting for you to make such a post so soon. I guess the rules do not apply to you? Good show.
    mtrycrafts

Just a little good natured teasing.. I know, i shouldn't. This crowd can be pretty sensitive. My apologies!

Your Pal,
    Eric

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrycraft
    Let me see. You just posted the rules:

1. First and foremost, be civil and respectful at all times:

Treat others as you would have them treat you.

or generally act like a jerk.

Interesting for you to make such a post so soon. I guess the rules do not apply to you? Good show.
    I've never understood why some people on A/R said you didn't have a sense of humor!

I just wanted to let you know that after spending quite a bit of time here lately reading the posts regarding the new rules (particularly those on the General forum) that I've decided A/R's new direction isn't to my liking. This will be my last post. Mtrycrafts, thank you very much for all your insight into a side of the audio argument I'd been ignorant of in the past. I can't say that I agree with everything but having food for thought on hand never leaves one hungry. Indeed, I have changed my views over the last year. Yourself, Robot Czar and several others have provided me with answers but, more importantly, with questions that only I can try to answer for myself. Thanks - and thanks to everyone who has made A/R a great experience. My best to everyone!

Also gotta say, as much as I've enjoyed the "naysayer" posts, I love E-Stat's and Hifitommy's as well! How good would these threads have been without them? Well, the rest of you are about to find out when you're alone in your world and they are alone in theirs within the virtual pages of the New A/R.

Just a little good natured teasing.. I know, i shouldn't. This crowd can be pretty sensitive. My apologies!

Your Pal,
    Eric
    Sensitive crowd? Good natured teasing?

You're demeanor is like the multi-monikered child-like [not in the cute way] trolls who brought this place down. I don't think smiling and teasing are responsible responses to a "car wreck" with injured parties.

Have you ever been in a position of power or responsibility before? Dealt with adults? Have any qualifications to assume the position besides smugness "pal?"
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

HI Tin,

Don't you think you're being a weee bit dramatic? All the changes i have made amount to asking people to stop saying "prove it" when someone says they think item A sounds better than item B, or mocking and ridiculing the opinion of someone who doesn't subscribe to their ideology. Now, it's "car wreck" with injured parties? Are there people bleeding at their computer? face planted in the keyboard, blood rushing out of the ears and mouth?

I think some people just can't stand that they won't have the full run of of the board, with no rules, as it has been. Have some patience and a sense of humor. This isn't the holocaust or a car accident. Its just a chat board.

Peace
    Eric

HI Tin,

Don't you think you're being a weee bit dramatic? All the changes i have made amount to asking people to stop saying "prove it" when someone says they think item A sounds better than item B, or mocking and ridiculing the opinion of someone who doesn't subscribe to their ideology.
    I don't think so. Many come along cleverly passing on fairytales as fact. Sorry, that will be challenged everytime.

I think some people just can't stand that they won't have the full run of of the board, with no rules, as it has been.
    Some recongize the path down a slippery slope when they see it too. Richard Nixon was way ahead of the pack in calling Castro a Communist......

Have some patience and a sense of humor. This isn't the holocaust or a car accident. Its just a chat board.

Peace
    Eric
    No, but your behavior so far has signalled a detour that will result in a wreck of tyranny.

-Bruce
    (Peace, not likely)

Its just a chat board.

Eric
    True. With the loss of knowlegable individuals to contribute that is all it will be. I hoped that management would have recognized that. Obviously you have, and dismissed their input as undersirable by segregating and stifling it.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Sorry, but I haven't dismissed anyone's input. The rules don't do that. Discussions continue. All I wish to stop is people saying "prove it" whenever someone says "I think this component sounds better than that one", or saying "Your opinion doesn't matter". Although I'm even allowing that, in the Science Lab (Audio Lab is probably a better name, I'll probably change it). It's a very reasonable rule to help stimulate broader participation. If you think this is so oppressive and hard to take, then thats just tough.

What I will dismiss is those antagonistic attitudes and the angry vitriol that seems to be plentiful among the "objectivists" or "skeptics" or whatever you want to call this crowd. Again, if you have a problem with it, thats tough.

Have fun picking apart this post!

Cheers,
    Eric

All I wish to stop is people saying "prove it" whenever someone says "I think this component sounds better than that one", or saying "Your opinion doesn't matter".
    This illustrates your failure to understand the straightforward logic behind scientific thinking. When someone made a broad statement of fact based on nothing more than his own personal observations, he could expect to be called on that. Mtrycraft makes it his specialty. Reasonable minds would ask "show me some evidence and then I'll believe you". If the broad statements of fact were rephrased with qualifiers such as "In my experience" or "It's my opinion", then no one, especially someone as consistant as Mtrycraft could find fault with that.

What I will dismiss is those antagonistic attitudes and the angry vitriol that seems to be plentiful among the "objectivists" or "skeptics" or whatever you want to call this crowd. Again, if you have a problem with it, thats tough.
    I have observed plenty of vitriol among both objectivists and subjectivists. I wish you would have said more something like that. Instead, you display a bias that I believe is very unfortunate for a site administrator to have here. If it is your intention to win friends at this site, I suggest you choose your words better.

Forum Regular
    I've never understood why some people on A/R said you didn't have a sense of humor!

It comes and goes When I have it permanently, You'll see me on TV But not to worry, you will just have to wonder about my real image

Mtrycrafts, thank you very much for all your insight into a side of the audio argument I'd been ignorant of in the past. I can't say that I agree with everything but having food for thought on hand never leaves one hungry. Indeed, I have changed my views over the last year. Yourself, Robot Czar and several others have provided me with answers but, more importantly, with questions that only I can try to answer for myself. Thanks - and thanks to everyone who has made A/R a great experience. My best to everyone!

The pleasure has been all mine. Thanks for your kind thoughts and words.
    I never asked for complete agreement, only to see what else is out there that is more real that fantsyland. Now you have the necessary tools for your further exploration for the truths.
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    WAAAAA! Rules!

Oh my! This is surreal. It's like the troll from '02 now has administrative priviledges.

Nice try, Tin. Apparently, reason and common courtesy have no place here.

Wow.

-Adam

(Audio Lab is probably a better name, I'll probably change it).
    Cheers,
    Eric
    Admittedly the rules aren't cast in stone as you yourself have taken liberties with them.

Rat Lab seems more appropriate given how you've treated "the kiddies" from your bully pulpit.

Your "tough talk" demeanor merely points to the exit that everyone is alreadly aware of. It doesn't reflect well on your ability to establish working relationships with what you seem deem to be contray/unwelcomed POVs. Maybe waiting long enough to point to a current example or two might have given members an opportunity to adjust their behavior to meet your criteria if, like you intimate has "wiggle room."

Admitting you got off on the wrong foot doesn't make you weak, but it could show a willingness to be flexible. It's your demeaning attitude toward contributers and rapid flexing of muscle that has prevented the chance for a smooth transition. Maybe if you see the problem you can remedy it. If you see people leaving as a solution and not a problem you are doing fine.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Sorry, but I haven't dismissed anyone's input. The rules don't do that. Discussions continue. All I wish to stop is people saying "prove it" whenever someone says "I think this component sounds better than that one", or saying "Your opinion doesn't matter". Although I'm even allowing that, in the Science Lab (Audio Lab is probably a better name, I'll probably change it). It's a very reasonable rule to help stimulate broader participation. If you think this is so oppressive and hard to take, then thats just tough.

Have fun picking apart this post!

Cheers,
    Eric
    I hardly ever post on the cable forum, and I understand the rule changes that you're trying to implement on the board. Frankly, some changes are probably needed to ensure that a steady flow of new people stay on this board. But, if you're going to be the board administrator, I think you need to practice what the new rules are preaching and set an example.

Whether it's intended as humor or not, the simple fact is that you're the newcomer and have no established track record from which we can assess whether you mean things in jest or if you're serious, sincere, sarcastic, etc. Calling people overly sensitive or dramatic right off the bat is hardly the way to make a first impression and get others on the board to buy in. If you're going to serve as a site administrator, then you need to act like one and stay above the fray when the discussions get chippy. You seem all too willing to go toe to toe with people who disagree with you and what you're trying to implement. The problem with that approach is that you inevitably win those arguments by driving even more of the long time contributors off the board. If all you're trying to do is weed out a few perceived bad apples, keep in mind that you might lose the whole barrel in the process. The rules are what they are, and if they have the blessing of the bosses who cut the checks, then just start enforcing them rather than getting into these petty spats to try and justify them.

Being argumentative is fine for a forum contributor, but I expect a more professional approach from a board administrator. Stuff like "Again, if you have a problem with it, thats tough" and "Have fun picking apart this post!" is nothing more copping an attitude and trying to put people in their place -- hardly what I expect from an administrator who's trying to make the board a more inviting and positive place. As much as I think this flurry of goodbyes is a bunch of childish whining, it's really up to you to set the tone and move the board in the direction that you think it should go in.

Thread Information