free wire for speakers??

Printable View

• 07-30-2004, 02:50 PM
    madmax1
    free wire for speakers??
    I have a chance to get 8 gauge wire from my father, has about 300 feet of it. Will it work with home theater speakers. Its for home wiring that he had extra from a freind???
  • 07-30-2004, 07:09 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax1
    I have a chance to get 8 gauge wire from my father, has about 300 feet of it. Will it work with home theater speakers. Its for home wiring that he had extra from a freind???

Yes, it will work but it is very stiff and difficult to manipulate into the speakers and amp posts.

Go to Home Depot and spring for stranded low voltage landscape wire, 12 ga/ 14ga.
  • 07-31-2004, 04:01 AM
    madmax1
    i have home depot wire now
    i have 12g home depot wire now on the system, but was just wondering if it was ok to run this 8g wire to the rears? they are about 20-25 feet away? or should i just keep using the home depot wire?
  • 07-31-2004, 10:05 AM
    markw
    I don't believe you'll realize any audiable improvement by replacing the existing 12 gauge with that.
  • 07-31-2004, 02:38 PM
    mtrycraft
    Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax1
    i have 12g home depot wire now on the system, but was just wondering if it was ok to run this 8g wire to the rears? they are about 20-25 feet away? or should i just keep using the home depot wire?

Yes, it is OK to use that 8 ga wire, especially if free :) but I would suggest termination in a electrical wall box so you have manegable wires coming from the wall box to the speaker and amp so you can hook it up. Solid core 8 ga is not fun to work with.