Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular

Is there any possibility this mudslinging can stop?

I don't give a flying F who drew first blood here, as I apparently missed it.

Or, better stated.....I do not miss it.

There are far better things to do with one's time than to go off trashing others over mis-understood forum postings and intentions.

John

I have a Monster power filter (HTS 2000 I think?). The cd player loves it. The amp hates it so remains plugged directly into the wall. Maybe give that set-up a try?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WmAx
    So, does the fact that you stick around mean that you enjoy a good circle jerk? :-P

-Chris
    Of course it does. I would be foolish to deny that I'm not stroking as hard and fast as anyone here.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    I don't "rail" against golden ears. I simply don't always agree with them but at least it seems we can disagree with a modicum of civility.

It's only you I "rail" against. You're a pompus putz and prove it at every opportunity. I just lik laughing and pointing a finger.

Nobody cares what others do for a living. It's the quality of advice and opinions that make or break one's rep here. You're the one that just had to brag about being a lawyer and then proceed to piss in the pool. ... and you're actually proud of it!

sorry, no lawyer joke today. Your posts will have to suffice for now.

(And now we all will be subjected to yet another phil tower and his unsubstantiated charges diatribes. Waddaya gonna do, phil? Huff and puff and blow my house down?)

No huffing and puffing. I'll just point out that one more time you ducked my question and refused to substantiate your charge against me - the one about not making up my mind.

No biggie.

BTW, you said above:

Now, as far as suggested alternative listening methods, that's another story. Before that is gonna happen, an a mutual respect with those that believe differently will have to happen. Once that happens, a meaningful flow of dialog should occur.

I agree that mutual respect stands in the way of meaningful dialog. No one could possibly ever figure out where it first started. These audio feuds have been going on for decades, as I'm sure you know.

It's easy to get caught up in them. I'm about ready to step back and catch my breath. So I'll toss out an olive branch here. I'm prepared to ratchet down the heat. Since I just took one parting shot at you, I'll give you the last word and then lets see if we can possibly convince at least one or two people that we are actually adults.

Forum Regular Mwalsdor_cscc_edu's Avatar
    Compared to this exchange the current start of affairs at AR seem almost cultured in comparison. Where's the red-faced smiley?

Quote Originally Posted by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu
    Compared to this exchange the current start of affairs at AR seem almost cultured in comparison. Where's the red-faced smiley?
    Ah hell, why did you wake this up. Guess I should wait for an option by Resident Loser. He loves investing his time and money into power tweaks.

Ah hell, why did you wake this up. Guess I should wait for an option by Resident Loser. He loves investing his time and money into power tweaks.
    I was searching what everyone on-line was viewing and being interested in the subject line clicked on it. This was the 1st time I'd seen the thread and was sorry to see how it spiraled. The motivation for my post was the recent comments I made about this forum. That comparing the two the forum appears to be progressing. Yeah, I'm sure Jim will have mountains of data about "power tweaks" for all to digest.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Sorry to disappoint...

I was searching what everyone on-line was viewing and being interested in the subject line clicked on it. This was the 1st time I'd seen the thread and was sorry to see how it spiraled. The motivation for my post was the recent comments I made about this forum. That comparing the two the forum appears to be progressing. Yeah, I'm sure Jim will have mountains of data about "power tweaks" for all to digest.

Jim say: Hooey!

This is my current (no pun intended) position on AUDIO: Most software is cr@p...It's all close-miked and/or multi-tracked or otherwise studio-contrived, losing natural dynamics and the spatial cues required for soundstage, etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum in the process...This is further exacerbated by the current trend to re-process older stuff to MC, which adds more studio trickery into the mix...In essence, it makes no difference if you use $1000 platinum ICs or usuitable raw wire, garden hose and shrink tubing or bits of brightly colored string on your PCs...your source material is fundamentally flawed...domino effect...GIGO...it's all just expensive string to tie-up the galvanized container...

jimHJJ(...as they say at Weller-the soldering gun people: "Keep your tip-nuts tight"...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Santa Claus

Power cords?Please not again

I can't beleive you guys are still bickering about power cords.This same disscussion has been going on for years now and it's still a hotely debated issue?All I can say as in my case a PC (AQ NRG-2) did make a diffetrence although certainly not night and day like alot of you would like to beleive.Where dealing with so many facters here that it's impossiable to make sence of this issue at hand because it's not exact science.I'm assuming that my cheap power conditioner and surge protecter ( monster sw200) had something to do with it.Also I removed the ferrite stopper on the cord and maybe that had something to do with it as well.Also a lot of patience of about 3 weeks had some thing to do with it.I really couldn't tell you.What if they made one PC that said "one size fits all".It doesn't exist.Remember where not talking about a light bulb that we all know works, with out ever thinking twice about it.

As a point...

Quote Originally Posted by Fergymunster
    I can't beleive you guys are still bickering about power cords.This same disscussion has been going on for years now and it's still a hotely debated issue?All I can say as in my case a PC (AQ NRG-2) did make a diffetrence although certainly not night and day like alot of you would like to beleive.Where dealing with so many facters here that it's impossiable to make sence of this issue at hand because it's not exact science.I'm assuming that my cheap power conditioner and surge protecter ( monster sw200) had something to do with it.Also I removed the ferrite stopper on the cord and maybe that had something to do with it as well.Also a lot of patience of about 3 weeks had some thing to do with it.I really couldn't tell you.What if they made one PC that said "one size fits all".It doesn't exist.Remember where not talking about a light bulb that we all know works, with out ever thinking twice about it.
    ...of reference...one size fits most, thanks to the near-ubiquitous IEC connector...the only reason the cottage-industry bloomed is because of that connector...I think all but the most rabid audiofools were reluctant to try their hand at actually hardwiring a new PC into their still-warranteed gear...Can you say void? Or pfft!! Hot dang that hurt!!! Now it's a simple plug-in job...the god's smiled down on the snake-oil salesmen when the Commission voted to standardize the dozen or so connectors, the most salient for our purposes being the C13 and C14 types...

Much like eutectic solders and other manufacturing expedients, there's always a tale to be told...

jimHJJ(...and a buck to be made...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...of reference...one size fits most, thanks to the near-ubiquitous IEC connector...the only reason the cottage-industry bloomed is because of that connector...I think all but the most rabid audiofools were reluctant to try their hand at actually hardwiring a new PC into their still-warranteed gear...Can you say void? Or pfft!! Hot dang that hurt!!! Now it's a simple plug-in job...the god's smiled down on the snake-oil salesmen when the Commission voted to standardize the dozen or so connectors, the most salient for our purposes being the C13 and C14 types...

Much like eutectic solders and other manufacturing expedients, there's always a tale to be told...

jimHJJ(...and a buck to be made...)
    I SURRENDER,Were flogging a dead horse.

Jim, the "data" comment was a joke. I know your position on that stuff. And while I agree that most software is suspect one of the most rewarding aspects of my system build was the fact that the very source material I had always suspected was revealing much more information than I would have previously imagined. And not just more data but more music. Sure there was all the studio "noise" that was recovered that they never intended for listeners to hear by lowering the noise floor but the music was presented in a way that was just easier to digest, or fall into. It's kind of odd that for all the upgrades and tweaking it was only when the system became less obtrusive did I start to really enjoy the music through it. Before it was just so much sonic fire works, which is cool but not what holds my attention.

I can't say that all of my worst recording were transformed but most of my collection was much more listenable after the upgrade than before. I'll admit I went through a certain "gray period" where the system only made things worse - highlighting the worst aspects of the recordings but with each upgrade, configuration or tweak that too disappeared. I'm not saying that is the case for you - that you haven't gone far enough - just sharing my experience with software and replay systems. I probably play more "average" recordings than ones for their audiophile sonics. One because great music and great recordings aren't always found on the same album and two, I kind of marvel at the quality there is to find on most of the recordings in my collection.
    Last edited by Mwalsdor_cscc_edu; 06-19-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Let's send this one in for MYTHBUSTERS.

I can't stand when two people using different setups argue a certain point...like power cords, speaker cables, etc. The reason is that cords are going to act differently in each setup. If person A can't hear a difference than it could be other factors. There is no "CONTROL" environment to really test the cords, cables, etc. I have tested numerous things wthin my own setup and I can only determine results based on using my system as the steady control and use different cables or cords to determine which ones make improvements or don't.

I know that MikE...

Jim, the "data" comment was a joke.
    ...so no offense taken...we've been down the road many times and I respect your opinion...after all it's your ears and your system...You always qualified your POV with YMMV and never (at least as long as I can recall) said it was all engraved in granite, fixed and immutable...we just agree to disagree on some of the more subtle aspects of the debate...ha-a-a-a-a!!!

Of late (and with the unwitting aid of jneutron) my POV has evolved to a certain degree...My prime criterion for enjoyable playback centers on timbral balance...a reasonably balanced frequency response is paramount IMHO; all other things (soundstage, depth, etc.) will fall into place as a result. There are entirely too many variables in the recording process...far too much close-miking...far too many tracks with no common sonic ground...far too much arbitrary instrument placement via the accursed pan-pot...all these things and more, while providing a pleasant enough finished product, really supply none of the required sonic cues of a real world performance that would enable anyone to rely strictly on their ears as viable test equipment...

Even with the most minimal studio shennanigans, there is still the question of the amplification chain, loudspeakers and listening environment used in the final mix and how closely your system and room can mimic them. Close, but no cigar...

At best there may be a few excellent examples of source material that might approximate "reality". There are, however, a number of fave recordings that fall short of that ideal, yet still provide enjoyment on both an artistic and somewhat lessened technical level...taken one step lower, there are those items that have merit on an artistic or simply a personal level, but have either been poorly recorded or are mono or are out-of-print and older than dirt (and sound like it)...Rather than strive for the absolutism of the best (whatever that is) I'd rather split the difference in deference to the wider range of materials available...

When the great recordings sound great and the less-than-great sound better than you know they should, that's the point when it's time to give less concern to the gear and simply listen to the music.

jimHJJ(...and after all, that's what counts...oh yes, and to keep it on topic: wire is wire...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information