• 03-25-2008, 12:31 AM
    budgetaudio76
    expensive speaker cable-has tightly woven wires, budget wire has looser weave
    could that result in a difference in the over all sound. i noticed at a local high end shop they had expensive(in my op.) wire and it had a tighter weave than my walmart specials. maybe im grasping at straws here. i wonder about solid strand speaker wires ive thought of trying it for my speaks and of course the subs.
  • 03-25-2008, 05:30 AM
    markw
    Potentially, it could.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76
    could that result in a difference in the over all sound. i noticed at a local high end shop they had expensive(in my op.) wire and it had a tighter weave than my walmart specials. maybe im grasping at straws here. i wonder about solid strand speaker wires ive thought of trying it for my speaks and of course the subs.

depending on the amp and speakers in play.

Tightly wrapped wires will have low inductance and high capacitance. Loosely wrapped wires will have just the opposite, high inductance and low capacitance. Many "high-end" speaker cables follow the first model but not all amps react kindly to this combination when applied to extremes.

Theoretically, an ideal speaker cable would have the best of both worlds, low inductance AND low capacitance but this combination is difficult to achieve.

although this site references electrostatic speakers, the fundamentals of wire is the same for "standard" speakers as well : http://sound.westhost.com/cablewhitepaper.htm
  • 03-25-2008, 08:22 PM
    budgetaudio76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by markw
    depending on the amp and speakers in play.

Tightly wrapped wires will have low inductance and high capacitance. Loosely wrapped wires will have just the opposite, high inductance and low capacitance. Many "high-end" speaker cables follow the first model but not all amps react kindly to this combination when applied to extremes.

Theoretically, an ideal speaker cable would have the best of both worlds, low inductance AND low capacitance but this combination is difficult to achieve.

although this site references electrostatic speakers, the fundamentals of wire is the same for "standard" speakers as well : http://sound.westhost.com/cablewhitepaper.htm

so would using a solid strand of say 16 or 14 guage in conjunction with the stranded wire achieve the disireability of both types of wires?or is there more here than meets the eye?
  • 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by budgetaudio76

I am a fan of soild core cable. Check out AudioAdvisor.com. They carry Audioquest cables and they terminate themselves and save you money.
  • 03-29-2008, 12:33 PM
    Hi Im John
    My Set Up Is A Perreaux 6160p Power Amp,tag Processor
    M&k 750 Thx Speakers,pioneer 757ai Dvd
    I Also Have A Problem Wich Interconnects To Use That Will Suit My System Any Advice
  • 04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
    budgetaudio76
    good reading
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cmckenney

thank you for reply and to the others as well. perception about improvements in expensive ic is one reason i have trouble justifying them and i goe with the radioshack specials which ever is at sale at the moment. the most expensive looking ic i have is one i found hence it was free . its a scoche high voltage wire , it says it has platinum shielding . but not sure tried looking the product up in internet. not much luck. maybe ill try bjc sometimes for quality construction. pretty much all my cable is stuff that came with components.