Forum Regular

Does It Make Sense To Upgrade?

I stopped in to visit the dealer from whom I purchased my components from 2 years ago (Sim Audio integraded amp & cd player, JM Focal Electra 926 speakers). He advised me to upgrade my interconnect cables. I have Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling...he suggested I upgrade to SR Kaleidescope Phase 1. Does it really make that much of a difference, and is the cost worth it? Help, anyone? Thanks!

Unless you get a VERY good price AND a trade in discount on your old cables and can take the new ones home for an audition to hear if there is any difference the answer is don't waste your time or money. Dealers make more on cable sales than anything else. There will probably be little if any difference sound wise between cables. The difference will be in the dealers pocket.
    I'm one of those who believe cables can and do sound different. Even so, I wouldn't change anything unless I had absolute proof there was an improvement. The only way to get that proof is an audition/comparison in your listening room with your gear.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

When I'm upgrading my IC, I'm just saying "I wanna buy something. I'm broke and dont have enough doe to buy new speakers or a source player".

If I were you, I would rather save that $800, save another $800, and get a new integrated after I sell the one I got.

How do you like your Simaudio integrated?

Why dont you get a turntable and....Opppsss. Told myself I was going to do that anymore. Sorry

Suspended
    Cables can, and do, make a difference. I've recently done some comparing of several RCA's in different equipment and set ups and I'm now thinking from that, it's not always the expense as much as it is synergy with your system. If your dealer is sincere, and worth his salt, he won't mind lending you a pair for a shoot out. You listen and compare to what you have, then you decide if it's worth it.

I'm not sure what your amp, or the cables, cost but at some price point you will stop hearing a difference because the cable is beyond your gear. I'm trying to say, you don't want a $2k cable on a $2k amp, it's overkill.

Forum Regular
    Thanks...I appreciate your opinions. First, I like the SimAudio gear a lot. Quiet, crisp and clean sound. I wanted 2 channel only...because I figured I'd get the cleanest sound with the least complexity. I paid about $200 for the Alpha Sterling Cable, and with the trade in on these, the dealer will charge another $300 for the Synergistic Research Kaleidescope Phase 1. I believe the dealer is honest and sincere...he's a one-man-band outfit and I got to know him fairly well when I was auditioning systems. He's all about the music. His point is that the cables will allow me to take greater advantage of the capacity of my system. I will ask him if I could borrow a set to audition...don't know if he'll go for it or not.

Suspended
    Your dealer should lend you a pair or at least give you a time frame to return them if you feel they aren't worth the expense. If not, that's a definite DEAL BREAKER. My local dealer has sent home cables and power products to try. Some I've bought, some I did not. I've purchased cables from Spearit Sound on the East coast before and they had no problems allowing a return timeframe. Every web store like www.amusicdirect.com or www.acousticsound.com offer a 30 day no questions return. It's a normal way of doing business. Don't let him brow beat you into nothing less. I haven't heard of that brand before but if you are convinced they are worth a try and your dealer won't work with you, I'm sure there is one that will. Either check the cables website for other dealers or do a Google search. I don't know about you but for me $300.00 is more than I want to take a chance with.

Forum Regular
    I hear you, Mr. Peabody...and will definitely pursue the suggestion. I'll let you know how it works out.

The guy is probably just looking to make a sale and some commission.....guess you can't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLG
    Does it really make that much of a difference, and is the cost worth it?
    Interconnect differences are subtle at best and perhaps the least critical between a (presumably) short run from a CDP to your amp. Your existing cable is already shielded which I find to be critical to suppress digitally generated RFI.

I would be more inclined to audition a power conditioner and/or an RFI filtered AC cord for your CDP for the same reason. Such nastiness can not only intrude upon the amplifier from the signal, but from the power source as well. It is my experience that trapping the inherent RFI they inject back into the line current removes an artificial brightness or tizz to the sound. As has been stated before, cable related differences are system specific so never buy anything without trying in your own system for a while. Good vendors offer such policies.

rw

Yeah man

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLG
    I stopped in to visit the dealer from whom I purchased my components from 2 years ago (Sim Audio integraded amp & cd player, JM Focal Electra 926 speakers). He advised me to upgrade my interconnect cables. I have Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling...he suggested I upgrade to SR Kaleidescope Phase 1. Does it really make that much of a difference, and is the cost worth it? Help, anyone? Thanks!
    I just recently upgraded to Mogami and just love them and did not have to mortgage the house to buy them.
    Plus these are guaranteed for Life!!

Here is my review on them: New Mogami cables
    my system
    Technics SL-1210M5G
    OC9/MLII
    Marantz AV8003
    Oppo BD-83
    Yamaha C-70
    Crown MA-12000i
    Emotiva XPA-5

Audio Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Unless you get a VERY good price AND a trade in discount on your old cables and can take the new ones home for an audition to hear if there is any difference the answer is don't waste your time or money. Dealers make more on cable sales than anything else. There will probably be little if any difference sound wise between cables. The difference will be in the dealers pocket.
    I'm one of those who believe cables can and do sound different. Even so, I wouldn't change anything unless I had absolute proof there was an improvement. The only way to get that proof is an audition/comparison in your listening room with your gear.

I agree with Joe. Audition these on YOUR system before you buy. Any sincere dealer would allow you to do that especially since you are an already established customer.

Linear Guy

suggest careful listening.

It would seem to me that a substantial increase in detail and soundstage would be required to jump from a 200.00 interconnect to a 500.00 pair. Make sure its not just different sounding. You can probably get different from another 200.00 IC. Use your most difficult source material in the evaluation.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Agreed. There are differences however the worth of that improvement, however small it often is after you pass a certain point, is up to the individual. From everything I've heard I agree there are benefits up to a point and beyond that it starts to enter sensationalism.

Thread Information