• 10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
    c00z
    Digital vs Analogue interconnect
    What is the difference between digital and analogue interconnects. I want to hook up my computer to my reciever, specifically I have a cable doing it but want to upgrade the cable.
  • 10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by c00z
    What is the difference between digital and analogue interconnects. I want to hook up my computer to my reciever, specifically I have a cable doing it but want to upgrade the cable.

Other than the fact that digital cables are designed to work in a nominal 75 ohm environment, not much. You will want to ensure getting well shielded cables, however, to isolate the inherent digital grunge generated by computers from the amplification stages downstream. My suggestion is to go with an inexpensive, yet targeted solution from a company like bluejeans cable.

rw
  • 10-20-2006, 05:09 PM
    c00z
    I have found a pair of used diamondback cables from audioquest. They say they are analogue cables, hence I know they would work, but would digital cables be much better?
  • 10-21-2006, 12:13 AM
    nomar
    Digital connection if you want your reciever to process the audio signal from your and Analog if you want your source do the decoding/processing and your reciever will only do the volume control or can add effects to the signal. Whichever connection you prefer, you should use quality cable but for analog must be shielded type.
  • 10-21-2006, 12:20 AM
    PeruvianSkies
    In your case the Digital Cable is going to sound best, not exactly sure what type of output you have on your computer, but I have seen some have ways of connecting to a Digital Coax or Fiber Optical Digital cable and have it processed through a receiver, you may find better luck answering this in a computer forum on the site, which essentially is a HTPC type of question.
  • 10-21-2006, 01:14 AM
    Dusty Chalk
    They are designed differently -- you should use digital cables for digital connections and analogue cables for analog connections.
  • 10-21-2006, 01:25 AM
    basite
    well, if you have a digital out on your pc, and a digital in on your receiver, use the digital one, the D/A convertors on your soundcard suck real hard, if you use the digital out, the signal will not be converted by your soundcard and will go straight to your receiver, where it is processed at a higher quality...

Greetz,
    Basite
  • 10-21-2006, 02:01 AM
    nomar
    I agree with other opinions. Use digital connection either coax or optical to your processor to do the D/A conversion. Enjoy......
  • 10-21-2006, 03:38 AM
    c00z
    Thanks for the quick replys. I have digital coaxial out on my computer and have digital coaxial in on my receiver. Thus, I will stick with a digital cable from bluejeancables.