Computer audio to AV receiver???

I want to connect my computer to my receiver. The sound card on the computer doesn't have any outputs besides the headphones plug. Is there a cable or a device that uses the USB port to hook up to the computer audio to the receiver? Or is there a cable with one end being a headphone plug and the other end a coaxial? What are my options (if any)
    Thank You!
    Thanks to 6.1, I now have more tolerance for people breathing down my neck...

Forum Regular
    just did that last week, go to radio shack they have a adapter that is a stereo headphone jack at one end and a dual rca on the other "red and white" and it actually puts out real stereo sound. "red to right" mine sounds good with it.

Yep, what uncooked said. And if you want to have computer speakers or headphones as well, just get a 1/8" to dual 1/8" splitter. So right now I have it connected to my computers headphones and my HT at the same time.

Forum Regular
    just make sure you get all of the stuff in the stereo format!!!

i bought a 1/8 splitter like This Guy said and obviousely didnt pay much attention and bought a mono splitter, brought it home and could only get the left speaker on both sets to work....... so i went back and bought a stereo one later on. just make sure you look closely there look similar in alot of cases.

Thanks a lot, guys! I am tired of burning CD's just so that I could listen to it on the HT.

Forum Regular
    is your comp in the same room as your HT? mine are on different floors so it doesnt work out easlily for me, i had a stereo set up on the comp all last week and i like it alot for listening to mp3's i have on the comp. but it took up alot of space in the room to keep the stereo in here so i moved it back to my room. but if there in the same room it make no difference right?

It's in the same room as the HT. I probably need aprox 10 ft. to hook it up. I have never before checked the outputs on the sound card and was disappointed when i saw that there are no outputs. I just recently moved ( and spent all my money) so I plan to buy a new comp and a projector to finish up the HT setup. Thanks for the warning about the mono/stereo splitters!

Forum Regular

networked music

If your comp and receiver aren't close to each other, there are a couple of products out there to network you comp to the HT.

There are boxes made by HP, Netgear and Lynkys that allow you to play mp3s from the computer over a home network (wired or wireless). There is also a DVD player from GoVideo that I'm considering that allows you to do the same as well as also stream internet radio. If anyone has tried any of these products, I'd love to hear reviews.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar

Thread Information