Forum Regular

Question Component Video Cables

Does price REALLY make a difference with component video cables? In a hurried situation I bought a set of component cables from Wal-Mart for $9 (and some change).

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace H
    Does price REALLY make a difference with component video cables? In a hurried situation I bought a set of component cables from Wal-Mart for $9 (and some change).
    Yes, you would think more expensive would imply better performance.You generally get what you pay for.Suggestion;Audioquest YIQ-X component cable

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H

They are all 75 ohm coaxial cable.

To a point, you will get what you pay for, mostly that would be a little better shielding and probably better connectors, but the wall of diminishing returns comes quickly.

The cables from Walmart will probably work just fine.

-Bruce

Forum Regular
    Thanks.

Forum Regular
    http://www.rogerssystems.com/store/index.cfm

I get my cables from this place, they have some great prices. They carry no-name stuff from what I've seen. I might have got a bad S-video cable from them once, but generally have been happy. I walk-in so I can't give an opinion on their online ordering.

There is a catch-22 to your question. Will your cable make a difference? Maybe, but it will also depend on other factors, such as what type of player you are using and also what type of display you have. The better those two pieces are the more noticeable a good cable is from a bad one. At my job I use alot of projector systems, which are all hooked up to scalers and the source is Pioneer DV5000. I have 2 identical Pioneers hooked up to the same projector and switched through the scaler. I tested out various cables (all component) using the players and noticed a huge difference between cheaper cables and slighly more expensive ones. The cheap ones were something you might find from Radioshack or maybe even Wal-mart. Nothing fancy, just a simple cable. The better cables that I used I ordered from ram-electronincs and paid about $30-$50 each for them. However, the end result was better color fidelity, detail, blacks, and the image seemed more natural and sharp.

I can't tell you if you are going to notice a huge difference or not, but if you have good equipment than you will most likely notice a difference if you jump up a few levels with your cables, but that's a tough decision and requires some financial obligations.

A high-end cable isn't going to make a difference if you are using poor components. However, a junky cable will make or break a system that is using great components.

Suspended
    How were your tests conducted? Did the same cable look the identical on both players? I'm not certain about your projector, but different inputs on TVs can be adjusted independently. I also can't believe two of even the same model DVD player will display identically. There are too many variables in components and tolerances. Do the players have internal user adjustments? If two different players respond identically, or at least close enough not to be dishtinguishable from one to the other using the same cable, then you may have a reasonably effective test jig. But just connecting two different cables between two of the same model players, into two different inputs, in itself doesn't make a valid test. I'm not questioning your findings, just how you got them.

Suspended
    BTW, I have no prejudgices against either expensive or inexpensive cables. I've purchased Canare component video cables from HaveInc (2m for approx. $80) and also bought from Big Lots. The Big Lots cables were very impressive for the cost. They were heavy-duty, fully shielded and had decent connectors. The cost was $6 for 6' cables. Similar audio cables were $4.

I just picked up a 12' set of GE cables at Home depot for $15.00

...seems fine with my new Toshiba LCD and a Toshiba DVD/VCR.

Forum Regular
    Audioquest YIQ HD6-3 6.1% silver, low distortion quard shielding, good price, sharp picture. 1m for $60. iinterested let me know.

Thread Information