AR Newbie Registered Member

Run Bose 12-gauge wire or use installed 16-gauge wire?

I'm new here to this forum and did some research but could not find any postings that addresses my concern. My wife and I moved into our newly built home that was installed with standard 16-gauge audio cable (similar to what you would find at RadioShack or Home Depot). I then bought the Bose Accoustimass 6 and Denon 768s AMP. I then realized that the original Bose speaker wires are actually 12-gauge.

My wife and I never blast the speakers - we just like to have a good sound to fill the room. We could yank out the 16-gauge wires but doing so would be a pain in the attic during the summer Texas months. I bought some RCA-type connectors to attach the wires to the woofer, but my questions are as follows:

1. Given that we don't blast our system on high, are we okay with using the 16-gauge wire?
    2. Are there any potential fire hazard situations with using wire that is smaller than the OEM's?

If I MUST run the Bose OEM wires, I will, but I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

-Saxo

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxo
    I'm new here to this forum and did some research but could not find any postings that addresses my concern. My wife and I moved into our newly built home that was installed with standard 16-gauge audio cable (similar to what you would find at RadioShack or Home Depot). I then bought the Bose Accoustimass 6 and Denon 768s AMP. I then realized that the original Bose speaker wires are actually 12-gauge.

My wife and I never blast the speakers - we just like to have a good sound to fill the room. We could yank out the 16-gauge wires but doing so would be a pain in the attic during the summer Texas months. I bought some RCA-type connectors to attach the wires to the woofer, but my questions are as follows:

1. Given that we don't blast our system on high, are we okay with using the 16-gauge wire?
    2. Are there any potential fire hazard situations with using wire that is smaller than the OEM's?

If I MUST run the Bose OEM wires, I will, but I would prefer to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

-Saxo

I suggest you contact Bose. I do not know if it would bring up warranty issues if you use something different than what they include. Any other components I would say 16 guage would be fine.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo
    ...snip...

Thanks,

-Saxo
    Speaker cable wire gauge is not really about delivering many watts to the speakers, most speakers just plain sound better with larger gauge wires even at low volume. Many manufacturers make dedicated speaker wires ranging in price from reasonable to obscene. Bose wires may or may not be special, but any brand of 12 gauge wire will carry the same amount of current. It is unlikely that your amp can even get the wires warm much less hot. Like I said before large gauge wires aren't about capacity, but about sound quality. The differnce between 16 and 12 gauge is probably not enough to warrant tearing into walls, but in almost all cases the larger wire will sound better.

Your statement about RCA jacks is unclear. RCA jacks were never intended to carry significant current and are really not appropriate for speaker wires. They are of course fine for the sub-woofer input or the sub-woofer filtered return cables to the main system (if your sub has that capability).

There are many connectors intended for speakers, they range from small diameter pins to bannana jacks and finally to spade lugs. The spade lugs can be bought in sizes that seem more approriate for welding, but they make them that big becasue the lowest reasonable resistance in a speaker connection usually produces the best overall sound quality.

Thread Information