it's about the music

What cable gauge to use for interconnects?

So i'm in the process of selecting materials for my interconnects project. i've already located a cable dealer on ebay, but i'd like to know what's the best gauge to use for interconnects, cost no object. I would choose the thickest possible but i seem to remember reading somewhere that this wasnt a good idea, and that thinner wires worked best.
    also is there a specific kind of solder i should use or will standard solder do just fine?
    cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    So i'm in the process of selecting materials for my interconnects project. i've already located a cable dealer on ebay, but i'd like to know what's the best gauge to use for interconnects, cost no object. I would choose the thickest possible but i seem to remember reading somewhere that this wasnt a good idea, and that thinner wires worked best.
    also is there a specific kind of solder i should use or will standard solder do just fine?
    cheers!
    Here is some info on interconnects.
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diycables.html

I won't waste my time trying to explain why I don't think changing interconnects will improve audio sound.

Forum Regular
    http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

There you go. You may also want to try ZU cables. There are some great deals on ebay. I ordered a set of speaker cables and a new power cable from them. I will write a review after they break in. Customer service so far has been excellent.

it's about the music
    Somebody is selling masses of 9999 12 gauge silver on ebay at what seems decent prices. Should i just go "what the hell", purchase some and try to make interconnects with it? also, how thick is 12 gauge? will two of it go into a RCA plug? and three?
    Cheers!
    I remember the days when I thought 128kbps sounded great and had never spent more than 10 bucks on cables...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom
    How thick is 12 gauge?
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/fra...ire_gauge.html

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Are you following...

...a DIY recipe? If so, I'd follow the recommendation of it's author...at least if you expect to obtain satisfactory results.

...If you simply wish to save money and build your own interconnects, I suggest visiting the Belden site, find the part number for one of their audio-suitable coax offerings, get some RCA connectors from Parts Express and practice your soldering skills...remember a good mechanical joint is required and heat the parts, not the solder!

Usually gauge applies to speaker wiring as it is simply zip or some variation thereof...IC cables(coax) are usually identified by an RG number identifying an engineered product designed to work within specific parameters...not too much choice for gauge...although you can get such specs @the Belden site...

Plain ol' 60/40 rosin core is sufficient...although some folks have created a mythology around other alloys...really no diff other than time length of plasticity.

jimHJJ(...and as they say at Weller "Keep your tip nuts tight"...)

Thread Information