AR Newbie Registered Member

Question Cable recommendations for TV

I just got a Panasonic TH-42PH9UK plasma monitor. I am looking for some advice on what brand of cables to buy to connect it to my HD receiver. The monitor comes with component BNC connectors. So right now it would be component RCA to BNC. There are so many companies that claim their cables are the best. What brand do you think is at the top of the food chain.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by pannyman42
    I just got a Panasonic TH-42PH9UK plasma monitor. I am looking for some advice on what brand of cables to buy to connect it to my HD receiver. The monitor comes with component BNC connectors. So right now it would be component RCA to BNC. There are so many companies that claim their cables are the best. What brand do you think is at the top of the food chain.
    Do you have a power conditioner/surge protector device as this this would be the first thing to consider to protect your investment.

Surge protector yes, power conditioner no.

Excellent TV. You may want to consider purchasing a TY-FB8HM HDMI terminal board ($120), in order to connect your HD receiver via HDMI. In this case, I would recommend purchasing a 24AWG HDMI cable for $15-$20 from Monoprice. With HDMI it's unlikely that you will notice any difference in picture quality between a $5 HDMI cable and a $200 HDMI cable, when viewing 720p over short cable runs (under 15ft).

Personally I use 28AWG HDMI cables from Monoprice.

Thanks elapsed. I am already very happy with it already. I did about 6 months of research and oogling before deciding on this model. I don't see the value in the internal tuner. And I really like the flexibility the card slots provide given the lack of HD standards. I wanted to wait on buying cables or any additional cards until I get my HD service. Just ordered that today and it will be installed 11/9. It will be less than a 15ft run from my media cabinet to the monitor. So I will pull the trigger on another card once I know my new HD DVR will have HDMI.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by pannyman42
    Surge protector yes, power conditioner no.
    I own a Panasonic plasma myself which I've had about four years now and it's still kicking.Anyway,I found that a power conditioner/surge protector is essentail in improving your picture quality.If it helps I own the Monster powerbar 1100 and it has't failed me once.

Thread Information