Burying Speaker Cable????

Printable View

• 12-20-2007, 08:03 PM
    thekid
    Burying Speaker Cable????
    I just picked up another pair of Insignia outdoor speakers from BB ( I had a gift card to burn). I am thinking of hooking them up to add sound to an area of the yard a little further out than my patio, probably 40-50 feet total distance from the reciever. To do this I can't really have the speaker wire laying above ground so I thought well the wire is protected could'nt I just dig a small trench a couple of inches down and bury the wire??

Any thoughts??????
  • 12-20-2007, 08:42 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Although I think burying just the wire would be fine if it had good insulation, I'd still put it inside some of that corregaded plastic tubing then bury it.
  • 12-21-2007, 12:41 AM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thekid
    I just picked up another pair of Insignia outdoor speakers from BB ( I had a gift card to burn). I am thinking of hooking them up to add sound to an area of the yard a little further out than my patio, probably 40-50 feet total distance from the reciever. To do this I can't really have the speaker wire laying above ground so I thought well the wire is protected could'nt I just dig a small trench a couple of inches down and bury the wire??

Any thoughts??????

Do what sat installers do and get some PVC pipe from a hardware store.
    Just bury the wire if you want, it'll last until some critter decides he wants "worms" for lunch.
    And dont forget endcaps, drill a hole for the wires to exit, seal around em with putty.
    Do it right and you'll only have to do it once:1:
  • 12-21-2007, 02:22 AM
    thekid
    Thanks all.

I do have some old white PVC pipe I was going to use to make some speaker stands so that should work! Now I get to combine my audio hobby with landscaping.......yeah!!!!
  • 12-21-2007, 05:06 AM
    johnny p
    Stands out of PVC??? I'd buy new PVC, in the lengths you need, and get the smallest Circumference PVC they sell, it'll make for easier burying, etc. and It shouldn't be expensive at all.
  • 12-21-2007, 07:06 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Watch out for that gas pipe!!! :eek:
  • 12-21-2007, 07:54 AM
    johnny p
    just drill into the gas line, and run the speaker wire through it, and patch it up (maybe with a welder) it would be ingenuity at its best!!!!!!
  • 12-21-2007, 08:28 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    It may not work, but it'd be fun to watch! (from a distance) :eek:
  • 12-21-2007, 09:16 AM
    Luvin Da Blues
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny p
    just drill into the gas line, and run the speaker wire through it, and patch it up (maybe with a welder) it would be ingenuity at its best!!!!!!

Ya, then he can use the gas pressure to "push" a foam plug with a string attached down the pipe....:ihih:
  • 12-21-2007, 01:53 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny p
    Stands out of PVC??? I'd buy new PVC, in the lengths you need, and get the smallest Circumference PVC they sell, it'll make for easier burying, etc. and It shouldn't be expensive at all.

Yes-stands out of PVC....it is a nice DIY project.

PVC can be cut to any height and you can drill holes to run the wire. The PVC can be spray painted to whatever color you want (Black looks best). You can then use a couple of metal pipe fittings, screw them to some varnished wood (one piece on the bottom for your base and one piece on the top to sit the speaker on) and there you have it some solid/practical stands that accept for the labor are much cheaper but more solid than a lot of what is out there today at the low-mid end.
  • 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
    Mr Peabody
    It may be better than it sounds, the PVC stands wouldn't seem to have much rigidity. I'd think it might work better if the PVC was filled with sand or something to dampen and you have to have a tight connection at both ends with a heavy base. Or, use more than just one pipe per stand, like 3 or 4. But back in the day just starting out I used milk crates, so what do I know.
  • 12-21-2007, 05:49 PM
    thekid
    Did not mean to turn this into a thread about home made stands....... :)

Thanks for the advice so far and I will make sure to call Miss Utility before digging.......
  • 12-21-2007, 06:52 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Hey Kid, how much can you say about digging anyway :)
  • 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Hey Kid, how much can you say about digging anyway :)

Not much but I have been accused of shoveling a lot of ............
  • 12-22-2007, 06:02 AM
    johnny p
    If you hit a gas line, either you dug about 5 feet deeper than you should have, or it's time to move!!!!! you shouldn't need to dig down more than 1 foot I'd think....
  • 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
    basite
    PVC pipes can do pretty well as speaker stands...

just glue them (really good) to a base platform (be it wood, or concrete) and fill the tube with sand or lead shot (or with a big steel block, as I did with my speakerstands...) and glue (or mount in any way) a top on them, there you go, nice speakerstands...

Just be sure to have the top, base, and fill them :)

oh, yeah,
    watch out for that gas line indeed :p

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
    pixelthis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Watch out for that gas pipe!!! :eek:

Thats just those beans you had for lunch:yikes:
  • 12-23-2007, 03:11 AM
    thekid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    PVC pipes can do pretty well as speaker stands...

just glue them (really good) to a base platform (be it wood, or concrete) and fill the tube with sand or lead shot (or with a big steel block, as I did with my speakerstands...) and glue (or mount in any way) a top on them, there you go, nice speakerstands...

Just be sure to have the top, base, and fill them :)

oh, yeah,
    watch out for that gas line indeed :p

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

B- Thanks for backing me up here. PVC comes in different forms some more rigid than others. If you go with a rigid pipe 4"-5" in circumference you do not need to fill them though I had never thought to do so until you mentioned it. I might give it a try for next DIY stand project.
  • 12-23-2007, 07:34 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Oh yeah! don't take my word when I mention filling the PVC with something :(

Just giving you some crap :)