Thread: Jerry Lee DBT

Forum Regular

Jerry Lee DBT

To gain a better understanding of double-blind testing methodology, I have been experimenting with the shuffle play option on RealOne Player's free service for my computer to determine if I can identify different but similar recordings which I have saved to a playlist. The shuffle play feature will play all tracks on a playlist in a random way, and although I don't know that it works like a true random number generator, it seemed satisfactory for my purpose. A disadvantage of using RealOne Player for double-blind testing is that each trial must be scored when completed and results must be tabulated manually. But hey, it's free.

I chose recordings of two different sessions of Jerry Lee Lewis singing High School Confidental (Bear Family,1994) for my experiment. Session A plays 2 minutes and 37 seconds, and Session B plays 2 minutes and 40 seconds, but I couldn't hear a difference in the two sessions in preliminary listening. In double-blind listening test #1, I correctly identified the session in 7 out of 16 trials, which of course is no better than random, and statistically a null result. I was beginning to think that if there was a difference it was not audible to me.

I switched to contiuous shuffle play, turned the volume down, and went about attending to e-mail and other matters on the computer, hoping the difference between the two sessions eventually would be evident. It worked! I didn't time how long it took, but suddenly it was obvious that there was something different about three-quarters of the way through the one playing at the time. So, I scored a perfect 16 out of 16 in double-blind listening test #2.

For test #3, I only listened to about the first one-half of the song, and nulled again, correctly idenifying only 6 of 16. The next day, I tried what worked previously, listening casually while doing other things. Again I didn't time it, but it probably took under an hour for me to pick up a difference close to the beginning of the song, which was all I needed to score perfectly on test# 4.

What did I learn from all this? Don't put too much stock in nulls. Relaxed or casual listening is more likely to reveal differences for me than test listening. I won't care if I never hear High School Confidential again.

Forum Regular
    Interesting post, okiemax. My experience agrees with your assesment. I have made the worst audio choices of my life when I tried to make direct comparisons intellectually. An audio presentation is a complicated and nuanced event. There are just to many things to listen for in order to make a managable check list.
    I've had much better results using what I call 'casual distraction.' I'll do other things as I listen, and pay as little intellectual attention as possible. In other words, I get as far away from thinking about whatever device I am trying as possible.
    If I am distracted by something that sounds really good, it's good. Likewise, if I am distracted by something that annoys me, it's bad. If I go undistracted, that's a result too.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy dedicated listening where I do nothing but focus on the music. Nor, do I completely discount this when assesing gear. If anything, dedicated listening usually confirms my 'casual distraction' assesments. OTOH, 'casual distraction' has contradicted my assesments from dedicated listening more than a few times. In and of itself, I've not found dedicated listening to be the most effective way to evaluate equipment. YMMV

Forum Regular

So training is efficacious.

Quote Originally Posted by okiemax
    What did I learn from all this? Don't put too much stock in nulls. Relaxed or casual listening is more likely to reveal differences for me than test listening. I won't care if I never hear High School Confidential again.
    Training increases the sensitivity of a DBT and that's what you did. However, once you learn the differences, you should be able to tell the appropriate passages apart in a DBT.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information