nightflier

What are the audible effects of oxidation?

I just replaced hundreds of feet of in-wall wiring and found that it was heavily oxidized. Since the new wire I installed is much higher quality and of thicker gauge, I don't know if the oxidation was the reason the old wire sounded so much worse. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    I just replaced hundreds of feet of in-wall wiring and found that it was heavily oxidized. Since the new wire I installed is much higher quality and of thicker gauge, I don't know if the oxidation was the reason the old wire sounded so much worse. Any thoughts?

That oxidation should only effect the connections. BUT, if it's severe enough (very highly unlikely) it will reduce the "cross section area of the wire, thus, reducing the AWG. I see you live by the coast, try using some dielectric grease on your connections.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

nightflier
    I was going to throw the cable out. It looks pretty bad and not just at the ends. It's clear so I can see that the cabling inside is all green and oxidized. Doesn't that mean that the individual copper strands are breaking down?

I was going to throw the cable out. It looks pretty bad and not just at the ends. It's clear so I can see that the cabling inside is all green and oxidized. Doesn't that mean that the individual copper strands are breaking down?
    That oxidation is just copper rust, depends on how severe it is. Is it green all along the cable or just close to the ends(for a few feet)? But ya you should replace if in doubt. Coastal air has obviously a high content of salts...Bad for metals. Can you put the cables in a flexible tubing (rubber?)that can be sealed on the ends? I would also try and seal the end of the wires insulation after you strip it.

I rewired a school in Nova Scotia a few years back and the salt air literally ate thru the existing conduits. It can be pretty corrosive.
    Last edited by Luvin Da Blues; 07-13-2007 at 04:47 PM.

One more thing...what kinda shape is the insulation in? Generally the insulation should have protected the wire.

Since the new wire I installed is much higher quality and of thicker gauge, I don't know if the oxidation was the reason the old wire sounded so much worse. Any thoughts?
    The likely answer is yes. Did the old stuff look anything like this?

While it took about twenty years to get that way, the blackish-blue cable was originally in the transformers of my previous Acoustats. Oxidation can introduce all sorts of edgy sounding gremlins to the sound along with a thinness to the bass. The same effect can occur to a lesser degree on all contacts if they are not regularly cleaned with something like Caig's DeOxit. I use it twice a year on virtually all speaker and interconnect jacks and plugs.

rw

Hi Nighflier,

I live along the Southern California coast also. I was using the exact same cable as you (Monster), and the same thing happened i.e. oxidization in the wire itself and not just at the edges. If your looking for a stellar cable for longer runs including surround, but even for center and front channels, check out QED Silver Anniversary on ebay. There are sellers in England who sell in 60ft or even longer lengths on a spool. The cost is greatly reduced from the retail prices. I picked up a sixty foot length of cable for about $125.00. It is very very good cable, and will embarrass some the more expensive 'esoteric' stuff. High purity copper coated in silver. For five years running the Silver Anniversary has won best cable awards in British Hi-Fi mags because it offers such tremendous performance for the buck - and thats at retail prices. If you can pick up a hundred ft spool for $250 or so - its an awesome deal. Trust me - it'll blow the Monster Cable away, and thats no exaggeration...
    Last edited by O'Shag; 07-14-2007 at 10:24 PM.

nightflier

What causes oxidation?

O'Shag,

Thanks for the referral. I'll check it out.

But that leaves me with more questions:

- If oxidation occurs because of exposure to air, shouldn't bare-wire connections be the worst kind? Wouldn't I be better off buying a completely sealed cable from one of the better brands out there?

- Are there some speaker cables, or perhaps ingredients in cables, that resist oxidation? Should I be looking for them in my purchase?

- Are there materials other than copper or silver that don't oxidize, or at least not at the same rate? I know gold is such a material, but no one makes affordable gold cables, right?

The reason I'm asking all these questions is because these cables will be stuffed inside of the wall or a conduit and I probably won't be looking at them for some time. I don't want to discover in five years that my cables are overgrown with green goop.

- Are there materials other than copper or silver that don't oxidize, or at least not at the same rate? I know gold is such a material, but no one makes affordable gold cables, right?
    JPS Labs coats their spades with rhodium which is highly resistant to oxidation.

rw

Suspended
    Isn't Monster speaker wire made with OFC (Oxygen-free-copper)? Why should it oxidize? I thought no oxidation was the whole point for OFC.

Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Isn't Monster speaker wire made with OFC (Oxygen-free-copper)? Why should it oxidize? I thought no oxidation was the whole point for OFC.
    I'm not sure whether or not Monster uses OFC, but such is primarily a conductivity thing. The pic above is Monster Cable. It most certainly oxidizes over time.

rw

superdougiefreshness
    Hi bfalls,
    My understanding of the current Monster Cable product lineup is thay are made in China or Japan of recycled copper from computers and other used equipment thus keeping cost down, of course the customer reps would never be that honest. Original Monster products when made in America such as mine were before thay sold out to Japan with only fresh new first use copper only.

I own an original pair that I bought brand new of "blue lettered" 12 gauge, 25 foot length "Monster Cable Clear Jacket" speaker wires from 1979 before thay were sold to the current Asian manufacturers. Mine were made at that time with fresh new oxygen free copper only. The difference is purity.

That may be the problem with what is now called OFC from used metals. Per the website of Monster the latest design of this same product is at the link below. I did not notice the OFC indication as you may think on there website. Monster still offers the original clear jacket product but now from recycled metals.........not fresh new unused copper as you may believe......and no matter what thay may tell you. Long time audio buffs that have been in the retail end of stereo gear for more than 25 years know the truth of this matter.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=43

And now for a little Irony
    "Oh... be sure to us Sears or J.C. Penny or even better Tandy ........ lets say a good year is 1959-63 for your interconnects.............ok a huge laugh....and well deserved at that".

Later

p.s. and of all the threads I have posted in these forum's I know that this info will help you determine a better choice of products........
    Last edited by superdougiefreshness; 08-23-2007 at 02:57 AM.

The problem is in the jacketing. they aren't driving out the plasticizers properly.

-Bruce

AR Newbie Registered Member
    It's a little more expencive but will last forever and solve your problem are you all ready! Made in Sweden Supra Rondo 2X2.5 tin plated doubble sheilded in teflon then viynal and you can get it through madisound.com.The tin plateing forces the sigmal to travel in the copper center of the wire and impeads high freq.banding .when high freq.signal rides on the outside surface of the wire.your other option is more expencive silver plated mil.spec wire in teflon NOT KAPTON as silver oxide is the best conductor on earth better than silver.so if it corrodes some better for you.BEST OF LUCK.Jeff

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    The likely answer is yes. Did the old stuff look anything like this?

While it took about twenty years to get that way, the blackish-blue cable was originally in the transformers of my previous Acoustats. Oxidation can introduce all sorts of edgy sounding gremlins to the sound along with a thinness to the bass. The same effect can occur to a lesser degree on all contacts if they are not regularly cleaned with something like Caig's DeOxit. I use it twice a year on virtually all speaker and interconnect jacks and plugs.

rw
    it looks like the insulator is the weak link here.Jeff

Thread Information