• 02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
    relayer
    Banana, Spade or Bare Wire?
    What is the best way to terminate speakers?
  • 02-27-2006, 09:33 AM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by relayer

I like banana plugs at the speaker out terminals of the int. amp and bare wire at the speaker binding posts. I find using bare wire to give some sonic improvement.
  • 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM
    topspeed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by relayer

Normally, I'd say lethal injection, but now you can't find a doctor in California with enough balls to make sure it doesn't hurt...

A shotgun works well, too. Although you need to use double OO buckshot to really get it right. Small game loads will usually miss one of the drivers, and that's just inhumane. The speaker ends up sounding really sibilant and distorted until you can pump another load into it. Not pretty...

Guillitines are effective, although some of the newer speakers like Wilson Benesch use carbon fiber cabinets that are tough to cut through with that first hack. Thus, you have to drop the blade a couple of times. It can be pretty messy...wires, shards of cabinetry, loose caps dangling from the mutilated remains of the crossover...ugh. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

My favorite is dropping one from the rooftop of building or parking structure. It's cheap, effective, and the speaker won't feel a thing. In fact, most die before they even hit the ground.

Hope this helps. :)
  • 02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed
    Normally, I'd say lethal injection, but now you can't find a doctor in California with enough balls to make sure it doesn't hurt...

A shotgun works well, too. Although you need to use double OO buckshot to really get it right. Small game loads will usually miss one of the drivers, and that's just inhumane. The speaker ends up sounding really sibilant and distorted until you can pump another load into it. Not pretty...

Guillitines are effective, although some of the newer speakers like Wilson Benesch use carbon fiber cabinets that are tough to cut through with that first hack. Thus, you have to drop the blade a couple of times. It can be pretty messy...wires, shards of cabinetry, loose caps dangling from the mutilated remains of the crossover...ugh. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

My favorite is dropping one from the rooftop of building or parking structure. It's cheap, effective, and the speaker won't feel a thing. In fact, most die before they even hit the ground.

You are a very sick man.
  • 02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
    L.J.
    Banana plugs are a must at the recv end. It's almost impossible to get the wire through, since it's so cramped back there.
  • 02-27-2006, 11:45 AM
    markw
    Sound wise, there's no difference.
    ...but I prefer banana plugs, particularly on the back of the receiver due to the lack of space there.
  • 02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
    relayer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by topspeed

Is it customary to blindfold the tweeter? What about the last CD?
  • 02-28-2006, 12:08 PM
    hermanv
    It depends to some extent on the system, for an exotic dedicated 2 channel system I would recommned copper plated with rhodium lugs, either crimped (a real tool, not just squeezed in a vise) or soldered for best overall combination of reliability and sound quality.

Bare wire might be a little better sonically but it will oxidize and require cleaning and re-termination, additionally there's that little problem of loose strands sticking out and shorting out your amplifier.

The pin type and bananas are most usefull on receievers as mentioned above due to limited space. Neither type is especially reliable in my experience. The locking bananas sure appear to be the ticket, until you try and remove one that's been in place for a year or two. Then you discover it has sort of cold welded itself in place and the rocking motion required to dislodge it, neatly removes the gold plating that you paid extra for.