Forum Regular

Help needed - digital or analog outputs?

In my CD player, I have three options for output:

1) Traditional Analog (left and right channels)
    2) Digital Optical
    3) Digital Co-axial

My pre-amplifier supports all three inputs. Will using the digital output give me a better sound quality than analog outputs? And of the two digital options which one is better - optical or co-axial?

Since the output from pre-amp to power amp is analog and from power amp to loudspeakers is also analog would using digital output from the CD player to pre-amp really make a difference?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by jaree
    Will using the digital output give me a better sound quality than analog outputs?
    Depends...The CD player is reading digital info...the amplifiers get analog. Conversion has to happen somewhere in the chain (digital-to-analog, DAC). Sound quality will depend on whether the CD player or pre-amp has the better DAC. Listening tests might be required.
    If you believe the CD player has the better DAC, use the analog outs, if you think the pre-amp converts better, use that digital outs....

And of the two digital options which one is better - optical or co-axial?
    Neither, though the coaxial one is more reliable, and usually cheaper (it's the same cable as your typical "yellow" video RCA cable).

Since the output from pre-amp to power amp is analog and from power amp to loudspeakers is also analog would using digital output from the CD player to pre-amp really make a difference?
    A lot of cheap DAC's perform quite well these days against some very hi-end DAC's...differences can be quite minimal at the extremes. As you lessen the gap between generic and high-end, the chances of noticeable differences are even less.

In my case, my Arcam CD player appears to me to sound better using analog cables than my $200 Yamaha CD player. It should, it was over a lot more expensive. Not much better, but I notice a bit more resolution on softer music like jazz, or acoustic instruments.
    When I use the digital output on my Yammie though, I can't hear any differences if they exist.

LMB
    Forum Regular
    Jaree

Personally, I prefer digital coax over optical (optical to bright base better with coax)
    I have my cd player hooked up with audioquest coax cable
    Just try them out and decide which one sounds better to you.

have fun

Forum Regular
    I am totally and perfect agree with kexodusc and
    LMB, I think you have consider the DAC from your CD player and AMP, processor or Reciever.
    I have the 3 connections... I preffer the analog, cos my CD player have a superior D/A, the difference it's audible.

Thread Information