Forum Regular

Audioquest speaker cable - where?

I have purchased a pair of Audioquest CV-4s and find them ....ok...not great but definitely an upgrade. However, I find them lacking in the bass arena. Thus, I would liike your opinions on where to find more Audioquest cables since I would like to try a different pair. I have looked at Audioadvisor, bought these from Audiogon, and have looked at E-bay...am I missing a great place for price that ships to Canada? Comment are welcomed for locations or a different speaker wire to try. Thanks.

Santa Claus
    Quote Originally Posted by c00z
    I have purchased a pair of Audioquest CV-4s and find them ....ok...not great but definitely an upgrade. However, I find them lacking in the bass arena. Thus, I would liike your opinions on where to find more Audioquest cables since I would like to try a different pair. I have looked at Audioadvisor, bought these from Audiogon, and have looked at E-bay...am I missing a great place for price that ships to Canada? Comment are welcomed for locations or a different speaker wire to try. Thanks.
    I'm assuming that you have used them for over 100 hours as it takes time to adjust?If it's any help I have the AQ type 2 speaker wire and found them great.

Forum Regular
    I am a metallurgical engineer and do not understand why a break in period is necessary. Thus, I feel it does not take any time to break in speaker wire. However, anyone have any ideas for online stores or better AQ cables.

Have you thought about going with someone instead of AudioQuest? Perhaps PS Audio if you want better bass.

LIVE LONG AND JAM !!!
    lets see you don't believe in burnin but you do believe different cables can affect the bass.

Forum Regular
    If you think about it burn in does not make any difference in sound. However, if you run a 22guage wire...tell me how your bass is...it will be crap. Thus, I have tried the CV-4 vs. 10 guage copper wire and the copper wire has better bass...I have heard the difference...however, have you heard the difference between burn-in and can explain the difference...everyone will tell you the same thing burn in does not exist.

The PS Audio xStream cables that I use for my towers deliver incredible bass. They are not adding color or doing anything except delivering a more accurate signal from my amp. I have compared them with AudioQuest GR-8's that I had for awhile along with various Monster Cable at different guages and Cobalt Cable as well. The PS Audio Xstream's are by far the best...they are worth every cent.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Cut'n'paste...cut'n'paste...

...la, la...la, la, la...Same (or similar) threads get same answers...

...any difference is just that and nothing more...very subjective AND anecdotal in nature...

Wire is passive...it can "boost" one segment of the frequency spectrum only by attenuating another...it's all relative...

...wire is wire...

jimHJJ(...or more precisely: Since there is, at this time, no objective, conclusive and repeatable evidence provided by currently applied and accepted test methodology and within commensurate parameters germaine to the subject under test to the contrary, further augmented by analysis of subjective evaluation produced under strict controls and protocols, there simply is no proof, other than that provided as anecdotal evidence, which is subject to a vast array of potential biases, that there is any significant audible difference in wire of a similar type, length and gauge....;-p)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Linear Guy
    [QUOTE=c00z]I have purchased a pair of Audioquest CV-4s and find them ....ok...not great but definitely an upgrade. However, I find them lacking in the bass arena.

That's a tough one. If you like Audioquest, I suggest you contact them and find out which cable in a general sense has softer and deeper bass. I have AQ Bedrock and I like it but the bass is not deep, its more firm and what you might describe as punchy. It doesn't matter that much with my powered bass speakers though. The more generic cables I've tried have better bass but suffer in the mid-range and treble separation so thats why I have Bedrock. If you are willing to spend about 90.00 (us) there are some good cheap internet only cable vendors with good return policies.

Forum Regular
    just looking for opinions on which online vendor offers great deals other than those that I outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by c00z
    just looking for opinions on which online vendor offers great deals other than those that I outlined.

Have you don'e a google/froogle search yet????? A Simon search, or been to shopping.yahoo.com and searched there?

and...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&Go.y=19&Go=Go

-Bruce
    (Damn that's alot of money for wire....)

Linear Guy

audition problem

You want a good deal and yet you need to reserve the right to send them back if not completely blown away. This limits you, I would imagine ,to the highest level dealers. Perhaps you could call up Audio Advisor and speak with one of the reps. They deal a lot of Audioquest and probably have some custom terminated pairs of speaker cable that have been returned to them. As for AQ Bedrock, it is apraently a discontinued cable line and Audioadvisor claims to have bought a large amount and they do offer a good price on it.

If you have a bit of time, patience and a sense of humor, you could experiment with some DIY configurations rather cheaply. Have fun and try not to over spend

nightflier
    I've bought cables from AA, and they do provide very good service, but I tend to prefer the smaller outfits. I have tried and been very happy with:

Thin inexpensive cables that don't sound thin:
    http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/aud...ucts/index.php

Great service & prices:
    http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

Very knowledgeable:
    http://www.heartlandcables.com/
    (P.S. Microsoft Front-page designed site - does not load properly on Mozilla)

Another decent place:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Cable-Solutions

Also since you're an engineer, you might want to build the cables yourself. There's always partsexpress.com, but if you need a little hand-holding, here's a good source:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=609

Thread Information