• 07-17-2004, 06:17 PM
    gonefishin
    Is anyone out there using comcast cable?

I've been using it for a number of years now and I'm wondering if the high price tag is worth the performance. I don't want to give up any resolution or detail, but would like a better value.

I'm saddened that it seems like there aren't any better right now. Well, not without a loss of resolution or upfront fees.

maybe in another six months things will change. Ho-Hum :(
  • 07-18-2004, 01:44 AM
    markw
    Interconnects or speaker?
    I'm a comcast user. In spite of it's high price, it beats verizon DSL. We used verizon at work and it was most definitely slower. ...and we had do "dial out" each time we used it. Phone suppoprt was minimal at best.

But, both beat MSN over a dial up by a looooooooong shot, a least on speed. Eachtime MSN/microsoft would send an update, I'd have problemos mucho. Only last year would msn allow yoy to access your email through any computer except your own via hotmail. For the years before that I had it, it could only be accessed on your own 'puter.

Yeah, I think Comcast cable, in spite of the price, is worth it. ...plus they have excellent local support, both on phone and in person. funky email but at least it's accessable anywhere.
  • 07-18-2004, 07:27 AM
    skeptic
    Potentially, cable internet will outperform DSL without a doubt. I use cable internet service myself. DSL has problems with distance from the central office and if you live too far away, it isn't available. Rewiring entire networks is very expensive and has to be offset by revenues. On the other hand, it's easier to set up private networks on DSL and so many companies probably prefer them for that reason alone. Cable companies can offer improved cable Television services as part of an upgrade to offset the capital investment. It can also operate at higher speeds than DSL. One problem with cable service is that the speed you get will depend on how much server capacity is available for your node and how much is being used at the moment you want to use it. Another is that when power is out, your cable service is also frequently out as well. We had a cable outage at my home just a few days ago during an electrical storm, first one in a long time. However we still had phone service because the phone company powers its network at the central office with a very reliable system which has battery backup. Eventually voice over internet will likely put the local telcoms out of business altogether at least for residential customers stealing both their voice and data customers in a "one stop shopping" offer which the industry refers to as "bundling", but not for a while yet. The RBOCs (regional bell operating companies) are counterattacking by wiring large high speed fiber networks for their larger customers. But the ultimate upgrade and buildouts which will consist of fiber right up to your house will be far cheaper for cable companies as are current upgrades because the RBOCs perform their switching at a remote location, a central office and have to bring separate lines to each customer while your cable service hookup only goes as far as a local distribution amplifier near your house. If an upgrade buildout has already been installed in your area, there is probably a fiber trunk line to the amplifier already.

BTW, the RBOCs abandoned all research for distributing television signals to its customers around 1991. If they can't get back into that product arena, they are probably ultimately doomed.
  • 07-18-2004, 10:08 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin

I've been a happy user for over four years. They have recently the potential bandwidth in the Atlanta area as well. Quite frankly, I chose them over my local Bell DSL alternative because they were the first available in my new neighborhood. I use them for cable tv content as well. Reliability has been very good for me over the years.

Having broadband has enabled me to work out of my home office and still have access to the work servers (I work for a software developer). I conduct a number of webinars and can do that as easily from home as from the office. Scheduling a room certainly is easier! As for DSL, a colleague tried configuring the Bellsouth DSL service for the work VPN unsucessfully. She switched to cable and was able to connect immediately.

Adding a WiFi network with Comcast is a breeze in that you really don't have to get them to do anything. Hook the router to the cable modem, configure the router for a WEP (basically an access password) and you're up and running. I regularly access the net with three computers through the same connection.

rw