• 07-26-2004, 10:35 PM
    hershon
    Any cables that you do get better sound & picture on?
    To followup on my other thread posted below, I'm a newcomer in the "Cables Section" so if this was discussed several times previously, I appologize, but are there cables that will improve my TV sound (I use generic RCA plugs to connect the TV audio to my receiver) and subwoofer sound and my DVD picture quality? My TV is 10 years old 46" Sony and not high definition. If so, please tell me the brand and model. Right now I'm using Monster THX cables on everything except the TV audio and these cables are far below the Monster Ultra THX Cables I asked about in the other thread. Any input is welcome as I don't want to waste money if it isn't necessary. I also use Monster Navajo White Speaker wire to connect the speakers to the receiver and I'm happy with that.
  • 07-26-2004, 10:58 PM
    sy_lu
    Let's see, a decent 46" HDTV proabably can be haved around $1K these days. If you are going to replace all your cables with that Ultra thing, it will cost you may be $500 or more? I think you will be far better off to save the money towards a low cost but decent HDTV. No amout of cable uprgrade can bring any where near the picture difference between a regular and HD TV. As for TV audio, your NTSC's audio is of poor quality to begin with. Don't wast money on it.
  • 07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
    hershon
    What about Subwoofer Cable then?
    OK so you're saying I'd be wasting my money on more expensive cables for Receiver to TV Video picture and TV to receiver audio but what about subwoofer cable?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sy_lu
    Let's see, a decent 46" HDTV proabably can be haved around $1K these days. If you are going to replace all your cables with that Ultra thing, it will cost you may be $500 or more? I think you will be far better off to save the money towards a low cost but decent HDTV. No amout of cable uprgrade can bring any where near the picture difference between a regular and HD TV. As for TV audio, your NTSC's audio is of poor quality to begin with. Don't wast money on it.

• 07-27-2004, 04:43 AM
    markw
    Did you read Skeptic's reply to your other post on this subject?
  • 07-27-2004, 06:19 AM
    sy_lu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hershon
    but what about subwoofer cable?

Equally wast of money. Subwoofer cable carries low frequency signal. Even you believe cable will make difference in line level signal, human ears are not as sensitive on low frequency sound. In addition, if all your speakers are "large", subwoofer only carries LFE. Even if your speakers are "small", the signals was exracted by the DSP in your receiver to the subwoofer. I would say the DSP will change the signal far more than any decent cable during this "extraction". If you don't feel you are getting a good LF sound, save moeny for a better sub.

Monster makes lousy product but it is a great marketing company making monster profit by selling $2 worth of cable for $100 or more. If you don't believe so, a home electronics magazine recently show case Monster's N. Lee's home. You should take a look. Your money helps to build it.
  • 07-30-2004, 07:57 AM
    MarcB
    Cable
    I would recommend decent cables for any system. Yes, the manufacturers overhype their expensive cables to get us to buy them. For example, I recently directly compared Radioshack's Gold component video cables with Audioquest and Better Cables component video cables. The Audioquest and Bettercables component video cables provided a slightly cleaner picture, with the Audioquest also providing slightly richer color rendition. The Bettercables had the cleanest picture (less video noise) of all of the three cables tested. However, neither Audioquest and Bettercables component cables were substantially better than the much cheaper radioshack cables. In other words, the difference was slight and you really had to look hard to discern the difference between cables. Hence, I believe that any reasonably decent quality cable will more than suffice for a HT system. Therefore, don't go overboard with your cable purchases.