Forum Regular

Cool Cavorting with the Devil

Well, tomorrow I’m off to Las Vegas, where I’ll don my pointed hat and for three days immerse myself in the greatest concentration in the world of esoteric cables, vacuum tube electronics and turntables at the CES high-end venue in the Alexis Hotel and at the neighboring T.H.E. SHOW.

I’ll be rubbing elbows with the Sorcerers and Grand Wizards (as they are viewed by people on this board) of the Evil High End Audio Industry (otherwise considered to be the Anti-Christ by the regulars here). I figure that three days with these “villains” and “charlatans” will help cement my position as Public Enemy Number One on this board for the coming year (a goal which is surely within reach now that Jon no longer comes around).

I may even get uncontrollably wild and crazy and attend Bob Crump’s Friday night party where I can yuk it up with the likes of John Curl and Rod M.

Of course, in memory of the recently departed Julian Hirsch, I will certainly stake out a few hours for a personal pilgrimage to the main hall to check out all the bells, dials, lights and whistles on the latest crop of mass-marketed imports from the sweat shops and slave labor camps of the Far East. The overwhelming roar of the crowd that permeates every nook and cranny of that cavernous exhibition hall won’t matter, because, after all, every thing sounds the same anyway and actual listening is irrelevant.

PS. Don’t feel bad if the foregoing literary allusions flew right over your head. For one brief moment, I forgot I was speaking to a bunch of engineers and scientists.

Oh – almost forgot. Happy New Years everyone! Here’s my wish that the new year brings each of us peace, fun, harmony, abundance, knowledge, truth and tolerance. Above all, I’ll wish that we each renew our perseverance to continue reaching for the stars as we play out whatever role we each have individually chosen for our brief journey here on earth. Having lost my mother late last year and several other dear people earlier in the year, I believe that this last wish may be the most important of all.

Have fun...be sure to listen to some wires for us!
    "You two are a regular ol' Three Musketeers."

Forum Regular
    Hi Phil

My condolences on your losses..

Enjoy your trip.

John

Forum Regular

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwell
    Have fun...be sure to listen to some wires for us!
    Hopefully some of the exhibitors will forget to bring their speakers with them and I'll have that opportunity.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jneutron
    Hi Phil

My condolences on your losses..

John
    Thanks. My mother was quite a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    Well, tomorrow I’m off to Las Vegas, where I’ll don my pointed hat and for three days immerse myself in the greatest concentration in the world of esoteric cables, vacuum tube electronics and turntables at the CES high-end venue in the Alexis Hotel and at the neighboring T.H.E. SHOW.
    Is this your first time? If you're only going to be there for one day you'd do well to go to the T.H.E. show first. Likely you'll find it far more interesting than the main show. If you can hit it off with them, there are going to be a number of people there who I think you'll want to spend some time with (picking their brains). Generally the sound in most of the suites is dismal (as you'll see), but there are usually one or two notable exceptions. Would you consider keeping notes and posting your impressions?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Is this your first time? If you're only going to be there for one day you'd do well to go to the T.H.E. show first. Likely you'll find it far more interesting than the main show. If you can hit it off with them, there are going to be a number of people there who I think you'll want to spend some time with (picking their brains). Generally the sound in most of the suites is dismal (as you'll see), but there are usually one or two notable exceptions. Would you consider keeping notes and posting your impressions?
    Hi Chuck:

This will be the first time in over 10 years, and back then T.H.E. didn't exist. Thanks for the suggestion. I really wasn't sure which would be better.

I'll try to take notes and post.

Quote Originally Posted by pctower
    Hi Chuck:

This will be the first time in over 10 years, and back then T.H.E. didn't exist. Thanks for the suggestion. I really wasn't sure which would be better.

I'll try to take notes and post.
    Hi Phil,

The last time I made it to a CES show was nearly 10 years ago too, back when they had the show in Orlando (only had it there one year). With the two separate shows it is quite different than the way when there was just a single show, in Chicago. CES itself is far bigger that it was "in the old days," but most of the really cool stuff will be over at the T.H.E. show.

If would be very nice to have a show report from someone other than the audio reviewers and industry insiders. At the show in Orlando there was only one suite in the entire show that had outstanding sound, but the audio rags still gave the show a glowing review. Your take on it would be interesting because you're neither directly connected with the industry nor biased against the high-end. I for one can't wait.

Thread Information