Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Adapters

  1. #1
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008


    I upgraded my receiver but not my speakers yet. My subwoofer has red/black connectors and the new receiver accepts monaural for the sub. Is it possible to connect speaker wire into a monaural connection? Is there any adapters for such a connection?

  2. #2
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Your receiver has a "line-level" subwoofer/LFE output. Virtually all receivers nowadays do. These are made to feed a "powered" subwoofer, or one with it's own built-in power amplifier. Without that amplifier, a subwoofer won't work with these.

    Your sub appears to be a "passive" sub, which means it does not have a built-in power amp. These are usually part of a HTIB system and are made to work with only that particular receiver. Since they lack that built-in amplifier, they don't work with most standalone receivers.

    Even if you could wrangle up an "adapter", it still would not work.

    You need an power amplifier to use your subwoofer. Your best bet is simply pushing up the purchase date for your new subwoofer.
    Last edited by markw; 06-05-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts