0.5m Interconnect for around $120

Hey guys, I wanted to expand on my choices of RCA cables that I will be acquiring in a near future. I did read reviews on many cables on this site, but not everybody posts reviews on every equipments we have, so I was wondering......
    I will be using new cables for my Phono Pre to my receiver.
    I'm currently using Monster 400 mkII, and the reason for change is that it's 2m long, grips the hell of out my equipments, and too my ears cables sounds muddy( not warm by any means) compared to my friend's $25 Radio Shack cables. But RS cables were very sensitive to electronic devices.

My current choices are

AQ
    - Diamondback $95
    - King Cobra $125

Kimber Kable

- Hero $125
    - Timbre $85

Cardas

-Micro Twin $100

My gears are:

- Pro-ject Xpression
    - Pro-ject Tube Box
    - Rotel RSX 972
    - B&W 805 Signature

Does anybody know other good alternitives to the list above?
    The other thing that comes to my attention is that my TT's audio cables do not detach. So, I was thinking no matter how good of cables I get, it is going to sound as good as my permanently installed cables on my TT. But to my ears, each cable has different sound. Any thoughts?

Is it just a revenue generator?

I'm not giving a strong consideration on the Cardas cable I've listed above.
    My reason is that, Cardas Audio offers very premium products. I'm only stating this on the price, since I have not used their products or know anybody who has.
    The Micro Twin is their most affordable productline, correct? Consumers are often persuaded by the glamour of owning prestigious brands. I'm wondering if this product is their way to generate more revenue by targeting consumers with lower budget. But, at the same time, I don't think they would want to compromise their brand reputation. With this in mind, would I get a quality product that I need with $10,000 Rolls Royce?

I'm not bashing this product since I have no experience with it. Is there anybody on this forum who has?
    Anything helps, thanks.

-J

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I am a fan of the Alpha Core Micro Purl cable between my phono preamp and my integrated amp. I also use their speaker cables and am very pleased with them. They should fit your price range nicely.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Alpha Core Micro Purl?

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me the flexibility of the cable? One of the size of copper/silver they use is 50 micron, isn' that same as 0.05milli-meter? If my fading knowledge from science class is acturate, I'll be afraid to even touch it.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    I'm wondering if this product is their way to generate more revenue by targeting consumers with lower budget. But, at the same time, I don't think they would want to compromise their brand reputation. -J
    Certainly but what they've really done with this cable IMHO is purposefully create a cable that is not neutral. The MicroTwin is dark, dark, dark! It was designed to offset the excessive HF energy that is often associated with "lower end" gear. With neutral gear, this cable is very rounded, rolled off and closed in. I would not recommend it unless you have excessive brightness in your system AND for some reason you don't want to correct the problem where it should be corrected. But the MicroTwin is a panacea for the treble etch of common zip cord. Both cables are wrong, IMHO - they just err on different sides of the spectrum.

The Kimber Hero is highly recommended and would be a good choice for your next audition. It's impossible to predict whether it will work with your gear, however. Good luck! Let us know what you end up purchasing.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me the flexibility of the cable? One of the size of copper/silver they use is 50 micron, isn' that same as 0.05milli-meter? If my fading knowledge from science class is acturate, I'll be afraid to even touch it.
    The MicroPurl is a thin ribbon of cable purled in a clear extrusion of a high grade polymer. The cable is very flexible and durable. I have loaned mine out before to people who wanted to try them without fear of what might happen.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I decided to go with Alpha Core Micro Purl in both Copper and Silver. Hopefully I will be auditioning both cables in 7-10 days.

Thanks Guys.

Thread Information