Forum Regular

Speaker Brands to use

Im gona play around with some DIY speakers.
    What are some of the better brands to go for speakers and crossovers?
    Thanks

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Hi,
    Exactly what are you looking to do here? Build your own speakers or fiddle around with a commercial design that's already bought?

If you're looking to start from scratch, the sky is the limit...there's dozens of excellent driver manufacturers. Vifa, Scan-Speak, Peerless, MCM Electronics, Focal, Fostex, Morel, Usher, Seas, Audax,Dayton, Tang Band, etc.
    You should worry less about brand, and more about individual driver performance and system integration.
    For crossovers, well, you can get stock crossovers anywhere, Madisound and Parts Express have decent ones...You should really make your own though, to maximize the system performance.

Sound to me like you might be looking for a DIY speaker kit. Without knowing your budget, the best 2 kits I can think of are the BR-1 from www.partsexpress.com or the the audioreview.com DIY by Ed Frias...

The BR-1 is about $140 US and easily goes head to head with most $400 to $450 bookshelf speakers I've heard.
    The ar.com DIY is even better, but will require a bit more work (buying or building cabinets) and is about $340 to buy from www.madisound.com

Forum Regular
    I got a couple of Teac cabinets thats been sitting in the back room that used to be a 2 way speaker.
    Thought I might throw a couple drivers in and experiment.
    I have a couple speaker building books on the way and I have all the equipment I need to make speaker, just need to experiment and learn.
    Thanks

A classic combo

is the Vifa P17WJ 6.5" woofer and Vifa D25 tweeter. These are used as reference speakers for many and also used as a gauge for how other designs sound.

Thread Information