Forum Regular

What do you think of this DIY Sub

I am looking for advice on this DIY sub idea. I am thinking of building a dual sub (one enclosure) using two MTX thunder 7500's with each of the subs dual 4ohm voice coils wired in series then wired in parallel with each other with a final impedance of 4ohms. I was going to power these with the parts express 1000 watt sub amp, will this amp do the trick? and what size of box should i use? Looking for feedback on this idea, will it work or not? I presently have a B&W ASW675 and its serving the purpose but I feel the need for more bass, I should also mention that i plan on using this sub for just music listening and my choice of music is very broad. (rock, dance, country etc.) The rest of my system is: PSB Stratus Gold i's, NAD C372 driving the mids and tweets, NAD C272 driving woofers, Sony SACD2000 ES Cd player , room size is about 20' x 22' x 9' ceiling. Thanks.

Forum Regular
    For music, I was steered into the Dayton Reference series drivers. I imagine others will concur. I have them running now, they really are excellent. Two of the 12.00's ought to rumble nicely, yet sound good for music.

jocko

Forum Regular
    I can't believe no other opinions on this. I bet it would ungodly crank.

jocko

The Collector
    it would probably get really loud but you could do the same with some Dayton drivers and they would sound a lot better

If you use the Daytons, you'll be able to get better info on the correct box size for a home environment.

Forum Regular
    I agree the daytons look and probably sound good but the problem is that they are 4ohm, and if i parellel them the new load on the amp is only 2ohm, this load is not recommended for their 1000watt plate amp.
    Nad C372
    Nad C272
    Yamaha RXV596
    PSB Stratus Goldi
    B&W ASW 675 Sub
    Sony CDC 2000ES

So series them for an 8ohm load

Easies to drive anyway. You will not get the advantage of 3db boost but you power handling will go up.

Thread Information