Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

what do you do to jazz up your speaker grills?

What do people do here, just cut the basic rectangular shape and have a basic rectangular grill shape? Any other ideas?

MCH
    Forum Regular
    I personally like the look of no grills, with speakers mounted flush and using brass screws or bolts (use t-nuts and bolts myself). If using slot heads, have the slots of the screw heads align to the speaker center to give that final touch of I care.

Thin and rectangular...

I have cats and dogs so leaving them unprotected might be hazardous to their healt :-). I also found that Jo-Anns fabric's carries a nice speaker fabric that is much better in quality than PE and is 50% cheaper.

Yeah, the pets and the in-laws kids are reason enough for grills at my place...I'm going to try using earth metal magnets to hold together a grill that's basically two circles (one to cover each driver) kind of like a snowman...
    Is there a rull of thumb for speaker fabric? I just have boring black....wouldn't mind something different.

I don't know what the name of it is

but its basically the same feel as PEs but a little heavier.

Kex I just finished a buget sub using a 10" Quatro and one of the 25$ 120 watt plate amps. On the grill I used 1/2 in plywood frame.On the bottom part of the frame I used a 2.5" strip.I measured up 1.5 "s on the sides and placed two small finish nails.Then with a old band saw blade(cut to 2 feet)I placed it on the out side nails then pushed it to the botton of the frame and placed another finish nail to hold it in place.You dont have to use a band saw blade A thin strip of wood will also work...Then I used it as a template to mark a smiley face.I then routed 45% chamfer on the out side.It looked good.

Whoah...can't wait for a picture...that's a bit more detail than I think I'm ready to invest in these (I'm building 6). I think I'll stick with my snowman design.

Waiting for fabric to arrive now...I'll probably cut out the grill later this week. I've been working on 4 matching stands, finished the same as the speakers in the meanitme...1.5" MDF, octagon shaped pillar neck, and a small shelf that the speaker will rest on. Bought t-nuts etc,so I can bolt them into the stand. Tons o' fun. Hopefully, I'll get a digital camera for my b-day next week so I can snap some pictures...

Thread Information