Forum Regular

Rega upgrade/tweak?

Have any of you out there tried the Express Machine Heavy Weight Counterweight with your Rega RB300 tonearms? I found the improvement that it brought to be minor. They were a gain in overall dynamics, and a slight increase in both bass and treble resolution. Any of your experiences would be great!
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

rega

Quote Originally Posted by bturk667
    Have any of you out there tried the Express Machine Heavy Weight Counterweight with your Rega RB300 tonearms? I found the improvement that it brought to be minor. They were a gain in overall dynamics, and a slight increase in both bass and treble resolution. Any of your experiences would be great!
    Have you tried the p2/p3 upgrade kit? I am looking into that shortly. The motor/P/S and platform mods will come firt, then the arm.

Forum Regular
    bturk667
    It sounds like you are switching to a heavier counterweight, which would balance the arm when set closer to the pivot compared to the stock arm counterweight. If so, this is indeed a way to reduce the tonearm system effective tip mass. (Think balance = sum(weight*distance) and inertia = sum(weight*distance*distance/Gc).

Reducing effective tonearm tipmass is difficult while increasing effective tipmass is rather easy.... simply add weight to the headshell and move the counterweight further from the pivot. In short, get thee an SME III improved fixed headshell to replace your Rega and then tune it to your cartridge. I would not waste money on expensive but ineffectual arm tweaks unless you have money to burn... and if you do have money to burn you can send it to my favorite charity.

Thread Information