Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    It's just a hobby

Unhappy I blew an amplifier last night

Blimey.. I blew an amplifier that cost me a pretty penny last night, opened it up and closed it up again, this one has to go back to the manufacturer for repair, I hope the bill in not high..since it was my carelessness..nay..frustration that killed amp. , my experiment with some new tweeters (of another) went wrong.

It's just a hobby
    Yikes I also blew the subwoofer ,

Back to the discussion though...if the rise time is wrong, the decay will be wrong...and I do not like "sluggish" components. And transient response and impulse response are not synonymous terms in digital audio, though that seems to be synonymous terms transducer world. .

Forum Regular
    Dear Mr.hobby:
    My oh my what troubles you've inflicted upon yourself. The question that puzzles me is ... WHY? Didn't you start this thread stating just how thrilled you were with the sound of your system with your newly upgraded speakers? Then why oh why were you "experimenting" with some other tweeters? Forgive me for sounding crass and uncaring, but you got your "just desserts" with this episode IMO. Won't you ever learn?

And speaking of learning ... where did you learn these ridiculous bits of techno-babble that you included in this last post anyway? From the British audiophile press/media? When you state that " ... if the rise time is wrong, the decay will be wrong" that is just plain, unadulterated nonsense. The two things have nothing to do with affecting each other ... nothing. To add further insult to this bit of foolishness, there is nothing about "rise time" that can be called "wrong" in the first place. So, naturally if the "rise time" cannot be "wrong", then neither can the decay be wrong either. The only thing that can differ in this aspect of audio is that the "rise time" of a transient as it's handled by different components, can be slightly quicker with one amp vs. another - or by one speaker vs. another. Further, when I say slightly quicker - we're talking about milliseconds here. If you're trying to tell me (and the rest of the world) that you can tell the difference between a system with a "rise time" for a transient of 2 milliseconds vs. a system that takes all of 5 milliseconds to accomplish the same ... then, I'm gonna have to tell you that I don't believe you for a second (or even 3 milliseconds). You'd have to "prove" that (in a blind test of course).

Regarding your statement that " ... transient response and impulse respone are not synonymous terms", you are technically correct, although they are so similar that they could be used interchangeably ... at least as they relate to "rise time". Transient response generally is used when referring to signals (both audio and video), while impulse response is a term generally associated with A-C power anomalies.

Finally, your comment that you " ... don't like sluggish components" is just too silly to even comment on.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

It's just a hobby

Talking I love you guys - Respect

I love you guys,

Sure I got my just deserts on the gear front, a blown subwoofer, a blown amplifier and a ridiculously expensive but at present useless omnidirectional tweeter..sob.. I will fix all the gear and mod my SACDP before I learn , the curiousty factor is just to much..though the tweeter is currently a failed expensive experiment. Saying that the newly upgraded speakers are sounding great and cost me less than the presently unusable tweeters

Back to the discussion, I love you guys because you are challenging my accepted thinking both technically and experientially, thanks. When you discuss the rise and decay of a transient, I am surprised that you say the it cannot be wrong, surely the impulse response closest to the original signal rise time and decay time is the most accurate. I accept that the difference is in milliseconds and this is one for a DBT .Saying that the impulse response in digital audio is more tightly defined as the time domain response of a filter wrt an incoming signal. I will like to DBT a suitably 'slow' system against a 'fast' one and see if I can ID them blind.

Of course, based on your comments about the transient response, I can see why you would call my comments on sluggish components foolish , it simply follows from your train of your response. . I will stick with impulse and transient response instead of timing from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by theaudiohobby
    ... the thing I like most about the system is its excellent timing. Does anybody else feel strongly about timing? cheers.
    Well, after following this thread and discovering you refer to transient response, I wholeheartedly agree. That is why I've been using electrostats for over twenty five years. I find their unmatched speed allows for more realistic reproduction of acoustical instruments. Pieces of music like The Firebird can downright startle you.

Enjoy.

rw

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    That is why I've been using electrostats for over twenty five years. I find their unmatched speed allows for more realistic reproduction of acoustical instruments. Pieces of music like The Firebird can downright startle you.

Enjoy.

rw
    yah , I love panel speakers and startle is probably the right word.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information