• 03-23-2011, 02:19 PM
    Poultrygeist
    The Fugal Mk3 are completed with pictures in my gallery. Would love to post them in a new thread but haven't mastered that yet. I can post pics on other forums till the cows come home but not here.

First impressions: lots of finese and resolution with better bass than I ever expected. The Frugals are the most fun you can have for $200 with your pants on.
  • 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM
    swan24
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    The Frugals are the most fun you can have for $200 with your pants on.

A poultry sum, that... (m.)
  • 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM
    atomicAdam
  • 03-23-2011, 05:10 PM
    atomicAdam
    Freaking awesome! I so want to build a pair of speakers myself now!
  • 03-24-2011, 03:54 AM
    Poultrygeist
    Thanks Adam for posting my pictures.

These horns only require 7 boards per enclosure and Lowes or Home Depot will make all the cuts except the curved sides which can be done with jig saw and a steady hand.

The 1/2 inch cotton felt glued to the driver compartment is carpet backing from an old Ford truck. Pillow stuffing ( poly-fluff ) in the V chamber can work as well as the more expensive acoustistuff that I used from Parts Express. The drivers cost $45 each.

I've had them playing FM non-stop in my garage for 4 days now and they're really opening up. I am just amazed at how good these puppies sound to the point that I'm actually afraid to bring them in the house and do an A/B with the Zu's.

Even though these horns cost me so little they'll end up costing me more as now I feel obligated to spring for an 2a3 SET amp.
  • 04-18-2011, 03:56 AM
    Poultrygeist
    I went ahead and upgraded to a low powered 2a3 SET amp which is proving to be a wonderful match for these horns as well as the Zu Omens.
  • 04-21-2011, 07:32 PM
    atomicAdam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Poultrygeist
    I went ahead and upgraded to a low powered 2a3 SET amp which is proving to be a wonderful match for these horns as well as the Zu Omens.

Very nice. How would you say a 2a3 amp compares to something w/ EL64 or EL34 or KT88 or 211 or 300b -

I've never heard a 2a3 amp that I can remember.
  • 04-22-2011, 08:00 AM
    Poultrygeist
    The EL34 and KT88 are pentodes most often used in push pull amps while the 2a3 and 300B are direct heated triodes commonly used in SET amps. The push pull amps while having a power advantage have a downside of odd order harmonics. Most push pulls do not have the detail and sweet warmth of an SET. I've heard many push pull amps but none so far has offered the seductive qualities of the SET when driving high efficiency speakers.

The 2a3 is sometimes called "the mother of audio tubes". It's an old design originating from the 1920's. The 2a3 SET is characterized by super sweet detailed mids and highs While some find it lacking in bass, with the WE tubes in my 2a3 I haven't found that to be the case. I love hearing the "wood" in the jazz double bass and I couldn't want for anymore.

The 300B is probably more popular than the 2a3 as it offers more power than the 2a3 and will drive less efficient speakers. It usually offers more bottom end while the 2a3 tends to be more detailed, refined and musical. The 2a3 is more about mids, highs and transparency while the 300B is more about bass and slam. For rock the 300B may be the better choice but for small group jazz, string quartets and vocals the 2a3 has no peer IMO. The 2a3 has an almost a cult like following and you'll often read quotes like "it's impossible to make a bad sounding 2a3 amp" or "I've never heard a 2a3 I didn't like". The one caveat is that in order to appreciate a 2a3 one must have high efficiency speakers. The 2a3 is truly a match made in heaven with efficient full range single drivers such as the horns and the Zu's.

While both big coke bottle 2a3/300B tubes can generate lots of heat, the 300B runs hotter and cost more than the 2a3. The tubes only have 4 pins with 2 larger than the others. Dared sent a pair of white gloves to install those big tubes which was a nice touch.

Someone made the following comparison between the 300B SET and 2a3 SET: "The 2a3 is a beautiful and elegant woman while the 300B is an energetic young man"
  • 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM
    atomicAdam
    awesome feedback - thanks very much - i really want to hear a 2a3 amplifier now. That sound just like what I really loved about the Meloday AN211 amp I've had in.

Once up in Oakland we are going to be apartment dwellers again. I'm going to try to procure a pair of the Zu bookshelf speakers for review and a 2a3 amplifier.
  • 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM
    atomicAdam
    What do you think of this? I'd guess based off your above description this could be said to be a 'tom boy' -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Music-Angel-King...ht_3994wt_1158
  • 04-23-2011, 04:46 AM
    Poultrygeist
    The Music Angel looks nice but here's mine:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl_s...ube&1304893777