Forum Regular

silk or fabric dome tweeter

In sound therms, what's the difference between a "silk dome tweeter" and a "fabric dome tweeter"? silk tweeters are generally referred as smooth, while metal tweeters tend to be bright, but what about fabric dome tweeters? also, how's the sound of a ribbon tweeter

Thanks

The Collector
    well seeing silk is a fabric then they would be one in the same, in theory

The Collector
    i cant speak much for ribbons, I havent listened to too many. the ones I have listened I didnt care for but they werent that great of quality. They seemed a little too tight of a pattern

Suspended

Exclamation

The Silk dome tweeters in my SDAT SB-E639 speakers are very very smooth............................

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Fabric dome tweeters are prone to a bit less distortion that silk. That's the great thing about metal tweeters. High power handling, and low distortion. Yeah, some people find them bright, in reality, the usually measure flat, and it's human hearing that perceives them as bright. Whether personal taste, or just a result of the fact hearing is sometimes more sensitive to highs. A cheap metal tweeter will sound like crap, but a half-decent one will hold it's own easily against a silk dome tweeter.

Ribbons have a slightly different sound. Some people like them, some don't. I find them smooth, airy, but sometimes a bit thin. Again, a good driver should be good regardless of material. Different ways of achieving the same goal.

Thread Information