Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    AR regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    So, Woodie is not against tube amps, only poseurs who use tube amps? What constitutes a tube poseur? And only when running certain speakers?

LOL!

rw
    I've heard a few good tube amps. The ones I've owned were good but not remarkable. The Futterman was one. There was another with zero feedback. And there was the famous ALTEC 35 watt monoblock theater amp. Can't remember the tubes. I think the original used a pair of 2A3s but was superseded by one with pentodes. But it had very little feedback and the audible rise time on orchestral crescendos was astounding. I once worked at RCA's school in NY .. in the early '50s. The ALTEC amp was impressive and I've not heard anything like it before or since. Except I once opened the feedback loops on a Dynaco and got similar dynamic response. Too bad the designers all had to produce infinitesimally low distortion at the expense of dynamic performance to sell anything. Today, I can't find a tube amp that appeals to me. The low power ones do no more than my Behringer HA-4700 headphone amp. Which you can get for about a hundred bucks and is used in many recording studios. unless you make your own masters, what's the point of paying for equipment that betters the studio mastering equipment?.
    Stu-r

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Connected by Valhallas no less.
    rw
    E-Stat, I know this isn't the place to ask this question but here you are and here I am, so here goes!

I auditioned the Valhalla's and knew that was the final touch I wanted for the sound of my system. However, I couldn't justify the cost so I demo'd the lesser Nordosts beginning with their entry level cable, telling myself I'd buy the cable that was the most cost effective. All the way to the SPM, Nordosts didn't work! Only the Valhalla sounded proper. What gives? I would think Nordost's sonic signature would be set and as you move up the ladder, you'd just get more of a good thing. But I've heard other cheaper cables that worked better in my system than Red Dawn or Blue Heavens - better than everything except the Valhallas. Any similar experience? I'm a little confused by this.

I like the Audioquest cables for sonics, deeper tighter bass, better focus, smoother, more extended highs etc. and looks. PS Audio has a good reputation but I haven't heard their cables in a long time.

Way back in the day I made a power cord from some Kimber 16 strand speaker cables for a modified Dyna Stereo 70. Opened up the sound dramatically.

Regardless, I know the amps you have, they will certainly benefit from a beefier power cord. Good luck!

Linn LP-12 (Origin Live Advanced PS w/DC Motor) Benz "ACE" medium output*TAD-150*Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocs*Parasound CD-P 1000*NAD 4020A Tuner*Velodyne F-1000 Subwoofer*Toshiba SD-4700 DVD*Motorola DTP-5100 HD converter*Pioneer PDP-4300*Martin-Logan Clarity*Audioquest cables and interconnects* Panamax 5100 power conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    E-Stat, I know this isn't the place to ask this question but here you are and here I am, so here goes!
    Well, just consider my comments to be anectotal.

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    I auditioned the Valhalla's and knew that was the final touch I wanted for the sound of my system. However, I couldn't justify the cost so I demo'd the lesser Nordosts.. .
    To tell you truth, I've only heard the Valhallas in the Nordost line. Likewise, they are way out of my budget as well. While I don't advocate using cables as "tone controls" as some have suggested, I detect sonic differences from cable to cable that belie basic LRC specs. FWIW, I particularly like the middle of the pack JPS Labs cables.

rw

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by risabet
    I like the Audioquest cables for sonics, deeper tighter bass, better focus, smoother, more extended highs etc. and looks. PS Audio has a good reputation but I haven't heard their cables in a long time.

Way back in the day I made a power cord from some Kimber 16 strand speaker cables for a modified Dyna Stereo 70. Opened up the sound dramatically.

Regardless, I know the amps you have, they will certainly benefit from a beefier power cord. Good luck!
    If this post wasn't so patently absurd, it would have me rolling on the floor in uncontrollable, hysterical laughter with tears rolling down my cheeks! This could possibly have resulted in my having a heart attack or a stroke - which would not have been a good thing at all.

Since there isn't a single solitary thing being said here that has even the slightest chance of being true (since all of these statements and claims are physically impossible), I cannot bring myself to comment on it other than to call it what it is ...
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-02-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Derogatory post
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

cam
    But Woodman, I blew out the woofers in my mains a few years back. All my bass was gone so instead of replacing the woofers I instead bought some audioquest cables and all of a sudden I got deeper tighter bass that was smoother and tighter then when my woofers were still working. And don't even gett me started on the highs. And since high priced cables work so good I'm going to spend about $5000 on cables for my next system and hook them up to some bose cubes. My system will be the best system around all because of my cables.
    Last edited by Geoffcin; 01-02-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information