AR Newbie Registered Member

Pre-Wire for Home Theater?

I'm having my basement finished and having a home theater installed in one room and a couple of speakers and a plasma tv installed in the bar area of the basement.

I'm getting estimates to do the pre-wire and installation. They are very expensive. I know I'm too stupid to install/set-up the system. However, the pre-wiring doesn't sound difficult.

The basement is framed. Is it just a matter of running in wall wire behind the frame prior to the drywall going up? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

It looks so simple, but the estimates were so high!! I looks to me like I can do the whole thing in about 30 minutes. What am I missing?

Thanks

eqm
    Quote Originally Posted by KAP8
    I'm having my basement finished and having a home theater installed in one room and a couple of speakers and a plasma tv installed in the bar area of the basement.

I'm getting estimates to do the pre-wire and installation. They are very expensive. I know I'm too stupid to install/set-up the system. However, the pre-wiring doesn't sound difficult.

The basement is framed. Is it just a matter of running in wall wire behind the frame prior to the drywall going up? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

It looks so simple, but the estimates were so high!! I looks to me like I can do the whole thing in about 30 minutes. What am I missing?

Thanks
    Make sure you're following fire and all other local codes, which in my area means you'd have to use a UL/CL listed wire for all imbedded wires, so make sure you've got an understanding of code...this is especially true if you're getting inspection. Run all speaker and video cables AWAY from power lines, and if you have to cross them, cross them at a perpendicular angle...don't run them parallel. Another good idea would be to run a split loom plastic or a pvc pipe (with some diameter to it) and put your cabling inside so you can do future upgrades if necessary. Finally, make sure you work with your a/v salesman so you know exactly what cables to run in the first place. hope this helps!

Thread Information