Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396

    Pedestal Style Speaker Stand

    Pretty easy build. This design will really emphasize your speaks, and if you're a poor craftsmen, de-emphasize the stands. You can use materials of lesser or greater value depending on your budget. I tried to do these for as cheaply as I could, as a possible help to anyone on a budget. I like to use veneers, but in this case wood bonding, no-prep spray paint was chosen. I spent 6.99 CDN for the spray paint and everything else was free or I already had.


    The speaker is 20"H * 12"W * 11"D. The stand needs to be 25 inches tall. You can figure out an appropriate ratio for size based on the size of your speaker. I didn't have my camera for the first portion of this project. I found a 48" * 36" * 0.5" sheet of plywood and some various offcuts at my work.
    From the plywood I cut my 2 bases(a) 14" * 13" and my 2 pedestals(b) 11" * 10". The offcuts I used to create 4 supports(c) 25" * 8".




    I then used a belt sander to smooth out the faces and round off all edges and corners.




    Now it's ready for assembly. Using a drill I bore some starter holes for my 1 inch wood screws. Yes, 1 inch. # holes at either end of each support. Matching holes in the pedestal and base too. Set your supports on the base 2 inches in from the back edge and 3-4 in from the side. This is the portion where you must use caution so as to not split the wood. The starter holes are essential for this reason. With some wood glue and proper screws, an elephant will be able to perch on these. The photo upload tool is pooched, some photos are missing. PM me if you need to.










    OK, now we have a stand. Using my spray paint, I'll finish them up. I will give a plug and say that Krylon is the best. No priming, adheres to anything and dries super quick.



    Add speakers and voila, audio magic. Total time is around 1.5 hrs. Easy peasy and look respectable. The key is too find the wood for free and this will keep your cost at almost nil. I tried to patent these under the name "Cheap-Azz Ghetto Stand", but some guy named Joe already had it. Something about cinder blocks and garbage bags...




  2. #2
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,474
    looks good to me. And I am sure the sound is improved since you got your speakers more at ear level in your normal listening position.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  3. #3
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,816
    Poppa,
    You have mad talent and skills. It looks great!

    I wish I had some woodworking skills..
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  4. #4
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Poppa,
    You have mad talent and skills. It looks great!

    I wish I had some woodworking skills..
    Hey thanks alot Terrence! Appreciate it. It's a shame the Avants don't look a little better, but I will work to resolve that. I'm building a rack right now, I'm almost done. It'll hold my gear, various accessories and some high rotation vinyl. Been welding it at work in my spare time, I'll throw up a pick when it's done...

  5. #5
    nightflier
    Guest
    What about lateral support? I would put at least one brace in there just to strengthen it. With speaker stands, any and all strengthening is a good thing.

  6. #6
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    What about lateral support? I would put at least one brace in there just to strengthen it. With speaker stands, any and all strengthening is a good thing.

    Great suggestion, however, with the width of the supports being what they are, and the weight of the speakers being on the high end, it's not necessary. I think if i had gone any higher with the stand, I would have put a cross member.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,474
    I think the thing that really shocks me is how much some people actually pay for speaker stands when if they have any wook working skills or welding skills that money that could be saved is unreal. I used to be a carpenter by trade so I have skills in building so I know that speaker stands and audio cabinets are not to complicated to design and build. Your stands is just one example of this.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  8. #8
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    I think the thing that really shocks me is how much some people actually pay for speaker stands when if they have any wook working skills or welding skills that money that could be saved is unreal. I used to be a carpenter by trade so I have skills in building so I know that speaker stands and audio cabinets are not to complicated to design and build. Your stands is just one example of this.
    You're so right. People keep mentioning "skills" but in reality I only do what I need to. I certainly don't sit around widdling pieces of wood, know what I mean? I am pretty sure alot of people would be surprised at what they could get done if they just tried. Now welding is another thing...

    Yes it's quite comical how much speaker stands go for. At least 50% out there are basic designs made with cheap composite or compressed board. I could see paying for a stand that matches outstanding design with style, especially if your interior decor is on the high end, but aside from that, I'll keep my money where I like it the most.

  9. #9
    Loving This kexodusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Posts
    9,047
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    You're so right. People keep mentioning "skills" but in reality I only do what I need to. I certainly don't sit around widdling pieces of wood, know what I mean? I am pretty sure alot of people would be surprised at what they could get done if they just tried. Now welding is another thing...

    Yes it's quite comical how much speaker stands go for. At least 50% out there are basic designs made with cheap composite or compressed board. I could see paying for a stand that matches outstanding design with style, especially if your interior decor is on the high end, but aside from that, I'll keep my money where I like it the most.
    Well said...I've built a few dozen stands in my day - anything from sand filled PVC to simple MDF pedestal styles like you have. I actually prefer wood based material to metal when it comes to speaker stands. I have a set of Sanus stands, and I swear at higher volumes the metal starts to "ring" a bit at certain trigger frequencies...

    Parts Express and the like have lots of floor spike options for people looking for that. Nice job.

  10. #10
    Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Analog Synagogue
    Posts
    4,396
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Well said...I've built a few dozen stands in my day - anything from sand filled PVC to simple MDF pedestal styles like you have. I actually prefer wood based material to metal when it comes to speaker stands. I have a set of Sanus stands, and I swear at higher volumes the metal starts to "ring" a bit at certain trigger frequencies...

    Parts Express and the like have lots of floor spike options for people looking for that. Nice job.
    Time is not on my side for building these days. 02audionoob, quite possibly the world's most intuitive man, had made a suggestion about using sand. Now that you've mentioned PVC, the hamster's have begun to move...

    I'm sure metal could be easily damped. On the high end, damping sheets that car installers use, on the low end, some thin carpet underlay. I've never made a stand out of metal.

    This rack I'm brewing up will just be a metal frame. The actually shelving will have to be put on seperately. I was thinking just plywood, but maybe I'll post the frame here and see what feedback I get. The rack itself is 5 foot tall but I've made it detachable. It can come apart at the half way mark with dowling to help hold it in place. This was for ease of transport. I've stuffed the hollow legs with typical home insulation. I think I'll be bringing it home on Thursday, it's finished, but I don't have a vehicle that can accomodate it.

    Keep your eyes peeled kex, will enjoy hearing your opinions on it...

  11. #11
    Forum Regular harley .guy07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Mo
    Posts
    1,474
    Dynamat goes along way on metal. I have taken stands that I used to sell at the high end shop I used to work at and installed dynamat at different locations of them and when I am done they actually outperform the several hundred dollar stands you see in the super high end magazines and shops. All it is is knowing how metal works and to isolate and dampen between the speakers,stands, and the floor. Overall pretty simple.

    Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Dynaudio audience 60 mains
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center



  12. #12
    Forum Regular luvtolisten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    546
    I'm chiming in here late, but nice job on the stands,Pop. They look better, and sturdier than those ones I've been overpaying for online.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook