• 07-12-2004, 02:02 PM
    kexodusc
    Need help finding power switch for my amp
    The old push-button power switch that was on the amp reads:
    5A/40A 250V

The closest thing I can find is the 8A 250V one at Parts Express, which is almost identical except for the placement of one solder terminal.

Any idea where I could find this power switch? Thanks.
  • 07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
    pelly3s
    what kind of amp is it, and is the switch used as a breaker too, if not then the one you found will work fine. you don't need to really get the exact numbers. an 8 amp switch will take the place of a 5 amp with no problems as long as it's not also a circuit breaker. you could always order one from the company
  • 07-13-2004, 03:36 AM
    kexodusc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pelly3s
    what kind of amp is it, and is the switch used as a breaker too, if not then the one you found will work fine. you don't need to really get the exact numbers. an 8 amp switch will take the place of a 5 amp with no problems as long as it's not also a circuit breaker. you could always order one from the company

It's an older AudioSource AMP 3 I just bought this week...I was quite happy with the Amp One I bought a month ago or so and and decided to try this because it was only $60 bucks since the switch isn't working well. It sounds great, but I have to put tape over the button so it doesn't pop back out. Just thought it'd be easy enough to fix, new switch, touch of solder, done!

I'm definitely no pro at all this, but it looks just like some old computer switches I use to have to solder to a PCB at a job I had in University. I don't think it's a cricuit breaker, it runs into the fuse at the back of the amp...just looks like a plain ol' push button to me...how would I tell?
    Thanks.
  • 07-13-2004, 04:20 AM
    pelly3s
    you would just be able to look at it and tell the switch would be huge. if it's just a regular push button switch then i would just use any one that comes along in your search. i use the wrong switches for things all the time because it's only a a peice of wire that you have control of.
  • 07-13-2004, 06:46 AM
    kexodusc
    Great, lemme ask you this then...this one here looks IDENTICAL to the one I need:
    http://www3.alps.co.jp/pdf/2004pdf/p...Power/sddl.pdf
    It's a TV-3 qualified switch, same size in all dimension, except it's rated at 4A/32A 250V instead of the 5A/40A 250V I'm looking for.
    What dangers (if any) do I run using this one instead?
    Should I keep looking?
  • 07-13-2004, 02:45 PM
    pelly3s
    there won't be any problems with that.