My First AR Project

Printable View

• 04-20-2005, 12:45 PM
    alexperl
    3 Attachment(s)
    My First AR Project
    Hi my name is Alex and i am living in Israel.
    First of all i want to say thanks to people that are working at madisound and doing a great job, special thanks to Brian at madisound and kexodusc at audioreview.
    So the package was deliverd to me in 5 days! and i am living in Israel!
    It was very very well packed.
    This is my first DIY project :)
    I started to assemble the cabinets, I glued the 3/4 MDF and painted with some black color.
    It is looking fantastic!
    I will post more pic's.
  • 04-20-2005, 02:10 PM
    kexodusc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexperl
    Hi my name is Alex and i am living in Israel.
    First of all i want to say thanks to people that are working at madisound and doing a great job, special thanks to Brian at madisound and kexodusc at audioreview.
    So the package was deliverd to me in 5 days! and i am living in Israel!
    It was very very well packed.
    This is my first DIY project :)
    I started to assemble the cabinets, I glued the 3/4 MDF and painted with some black color.
    It is looking fantastic!
    I will post more pic's.

Looking great, Alex. A few words of advice you may already know...
    First, before assembling the woofers and tweeters into the box, take some silicone sealer (bathroom/house kind, white or black) and run it along the cracks on the inside to guarantee there are no air leaks. If you can't find any silicone use a bit more woodglue if necessary. This helps keeps the bass performing best.
    Also, you might find it helpful to use drywall compound (for fixing holes in walls) or body-filler for cars to fill in the cracks on the outside...then when you paint, try using a primer first, then the high gloss black paints. You should search the posts that poneal posted here in the "Tweaks, Mods, DIY", he's done some very nice glossy black ar.com speakers.
    When you are using the foam gasket tape that Madisound sends with the drivers for mounting them into the box, be careful not to waste any...you might have to cut it some to make it flexible to fit in the circle cutouts. Madisound doesn't usually send much extra, just enough to do the job. If you can't find any in your town it's a long wait to order more...don't throw any out!
    Keep us updated
  • 04-20-2005, 11:00 PM
    alexperl
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank you for advice.
    I also bought 2 premium port tubes 2' here is a pic, i hope that it will add to performance.
    I will do some more paintings today, meybe tomorow i will install the port tubes with spikes. :)
  • 04-21-2005, 04:00 AM
    kexodusc
    Make sure the total length of the port is 6"...this might include the back of the cabinet depending how you attach the port. The MDF is .75" remember, so you could end up with a longer port of 6.75", which would affect the cabinet tuning.
    Those ports look nice...I just bought port covers.
  • 04-21-2005, 06:40 AM
    alexperl
    5 Attachment(s)
    recived a new woofer from madesaund :)
    So here is almost finished speakers.
    I have spikes for them and for future stands so i will add spikes to the speakers.
    About the sound...not yet after 20 hours, but! i like the sound allready!!! aspacially the gitar strings! never heard them like this before.
    Here some pics.
  • 04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
    kexodusc
    Wow, great job...
    How do you get the pictures to look so nice...My camera's flash always leaves the speakers looking much brighter with bad glare...they are much darker than the picture I posted...Maybe I should try a nice room with lights and turn the flash off?

How did you find working with the vinyl wrapping? Easy? It's much less expensive than veneer...I should try some.
  • 04-21-2005, 11:43 AM
    hmmmm
    vinyl wrapping
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alexperl
    So here is almost finished speakers.
    I have spikes for them and for future stands so i will add spikes to the speakers.
    About the sound...not yet after 20 hours, but! i like the sound allready!!! aspacially the gitar strings! never heard them like this before.
    Here some pics.

Wow, they look impressive! That's really vinyl wrapping? I thought that wrapping stuff would look "cheap" but it actually looks great. I'll have to try that. I'm really getting the itch to start this project. Starting to think about the design...

Great work!
  • 04-21-2005, 12:13 PM
    kexodusc
    There's tons of nice vinyl wraps...most sub $1000 speakers use vinyl...of different qualities...good way to go if you don't want the trouble of veneering, staining, varnishing, etc...
  • 04-21-2005, 12:16 PM
    alexperl
    The picture was taken withaut flash, you should allways take pictures withaut flash, of course if it is a dark room you have to use flash but the picture will not be natural(i am a profesional photographer)
    This is my first project i have never done this befor, and so the resalts, it is just at the pictures the speakers looks great BUT in the real life they do not :(
    My girlfrand bought some cheap vinyl for 2$ and i could do with it only one speaker hahahaha so i have now one totaly black and enother black with red :)
    I must to buy a good vinyl like at partexpress.
    The speaker looks great only at the pictures but it can be fixed :)
    The sound id great! i have a good pre and power so the bass is great too! maybe at the recivers the bass is lacking but if you have a nice gear the sound will be great!
    WOW i have to tell you again guys the gitar strings is somthing...it is great filling and i am listening for music only for 6 hours at medium vol so the sound will be better in the next 14 :)
    I want to try spikes..
    I bought spikes for speakers and for stands.
  • 04-21-2005, 12:23 PM
    hmmmm
    wraps
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    There's tons of nice vinyl wraps...most sub $1000 speakers use vinyl...of different qualities...good way to go if you don't want the trouble of veneering, staining, varnishing, etc...

would you recommend the wrap from PE? I'm thinking of silver actually and may like it better than inhaling all of that paint.
  • 04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
    kexodusc
    The wraps from PE are highly recommended,
    Here's a link to John Stockman's site, he speaks highly of them...look at the beech vinyl.

http://custom.smugmug.com/gallery/115064/1/4235743

Hmmm, if you want, you could PM me your e-mail and I could send you some pics of several speakers that used the vinyls...they have a real texture to them too...not real veneer buy the price is right.
  • 04-21-2005, 12:40 PM
    kexodusc
    Alex, thanks for the camera tips...my speakers look decent in real life, but crappy in all my pictures...My camera is new and I haven't figured it out yet...I'm no photographer, that's for sure.
    I'll try some more later...
  • 04-21-2005, 12:41 PM
    kexodusc
    Silver? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    :D
  • 04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
    alexperl
    My email is: sony2000@hotbox.ru
    my isq : 239327726
    i really need som good vinyl.
  • 04-22-2005, 03:12 AM
    hmmmm
    silver
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Silver? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
    :D

Oh, trust me, it would look great! If you look at the t.v. and my setup you can see why I might go with silver (only on the sides). It looks like they call it light grey. I just contacted the manufacture and asked if they had any samples or swatches I could buy.
  • 04-22-2005, 03:25 AM
    alexperl
    3 Attachment(s)
    Old speakers
    hahaha i found use for my old speakers :)