Line-level 2 way crossover suggestions? Marchand?

Hello everyone!

I'm in need of basically a high- & low-pass unit. I want to high pass to the mains & low pass to the subs, in stereo, keeping phase accurate, at about 80hz.

Paradigm X series have only mono sub out. M&Ks' units are 6-12db slope. I came across Marchands' XM1 crossovers, 24db slope both ways, and in my price range.

Any suggestions/comments? All help appreciated!

Pete
    Last edited by piece-it pete; 11-20-2003 at 10:25 AM.
    I fear explanations explanatory of things explained.
    Abraham Lincoln

ISCET CET, FCC CTT, USITT Dual-500's Avatar
    Simple answer is eBay.

Fixed frequency crossovers work and work well. Looking at the Marchand stuff, it looks good, but the pricing is a bit confusing.

I would guess you could get a parametric crossover on eBay for around $75 that would have comparable specs to the Marchand gear. High end stuff on eBay can be had for ~$250.

Fourth order, 24db/octave is the way to go. Doing this will clean up your system and increase headroom.

Definitely worth the effort.

If you opt for a used setup from eBay, Rane, DBX, DOD, Behringer are all good units that won't break the bank.

Cool Line-level 2 way crossover suggestions? Marchand?

Thanks Steve.

I couldn't wait for advice and bought the Marchand components. A little digging over at AA turned up some good reviews.

Totalled $111.00 for two crossovers & a power supply del'd, inc. a 10% disc. for Audiogon members - not too bad., and supposed good quality.

So the 24db is good. I wondered - I'd seen references to 24 low & 18 high being the best.

Could you check out my about-to-exist post about accessory sources?

Thanks,

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    Thanks Steve.

I couldn't wait for advice and bought the Marchand components. A little digging over at AA turned up some good reviews.

Totalled $111.00 for two crossovers & a power supply del'd, inc. a 10% disc. for Audiogon members - not too bad., and supposed good quality.

So the 24db is good. I wondered - I'd seen references to 24 low & 18 high being the best.

Could you check out my about-to-exist post about accessory sources?

Thanks,

Pete
    Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Marchand components.

18 db/octave on the high pass??? What it means to me -vs- 24 db - well, I dont know what a "Nutty" tasting cigar is or a Bouquet on a glass of wine (whine?) so I'll just say maybe 18db on the high pass side makes people happy - that's fine with me. Grey Poupon also makes people happy - know what I mean????

It would take an absolutely controlled set of conditions for anyone to notice any differences - an IMO, who cares???

I say this as a guy that spent 10+ years working pro audio and played so many rooms, in so many places and many times used a "House" system - so, I learned to make do with what I had to work with and also know that no two systems sound the same - yet many sound real good - know what I mean????

Your system, in the end is more than the sum of it's parts. All the way to setup and integration into the environment you will have it in.

Enjoy dude!!!!!! Have fun!!!!!! Learn. Think. Ask questions. Exchange ideas. Study. Read. Listen.

Looks like the accessory thread is doing well - I would have recommended Parts Express also.

A "nutty" cigar.

A "nutty" cigar.

Too bad I didn't have a good cigar joke here!

I don't know what it means either.

But I believe that this will sound MUCH better than my current setup - using cheapie NOS plate amps to high pass the mains.

If it doesn't then I'll scream - then chalk it up to experience.

Your advice fits me pretty well - good wine is always good whether you know the bouquet or not. Although I wish I thought this thing through before posting parts source suggestions - There is a few other things I need, like on/off switches, etc, and don't want to monopolize this board.

Thanks!

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by piece-it pete
    A "nutty" cigar.

Too bad I didn't have a good cigar joke here!

I don't know what it means either.

But I believe that this will sound MUCH better than my current setup - using cheapie NOS plate amps to high pass the mains.

If it doesn't then I'll scream - then chalk it up to experience.

Your advice fits me pretty well - good wine is always good whether you know the bouquet or not. Although I wish I thought this thing through before posting parts source suggestions - There is a few other things I need, like on/off switches, etc, and don't want to monopolize this board.

Thanks!

Pete
    Rock on - this place looks like a wasteland anyway - an empty shell of what it one was in terms of technical content.

Yes, your system is headed for a Quantum leap forward in performance.

The only way to learn is to do - now you are learning.

"Nutty" cigar refers to the taste and I do know a bit about stogies - mine was a reference only regarding crossover slopes on the high pass side 18 or 24 db - just not a big difference - not in the grand scheme of things - especially in your case - new to active systems - you have some experimenting to do.

I only see two or three names on the board I recognize - wonder where the regulars went????? Hertz, Karl, Chris, BD, Ed Frias and so on.......

Thanks, I'm going to post another question shortly.

I think this akward format drove some people out. I have to admit I'm not taken with it. Karls' over in off-topic & I saw Wooch & RG over in speakers.

Pete
    Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information