Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Inflammation?

...I try to support your position and you give me a swift kick in the nuts?

What part of transcription disks and audio tape recorders was inflammatory? Was it the vacuum tubes that clinched it? Not PC enough? Truth too inconvenient?

Geoff, you got some set...

jimHJJ(...nice even playing field ya' got here pal...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

My position is Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...I try to support your position and you give me a swift kick in the nuts?

What part of transcription disks and audio tape recorders was inflammatory? Was it the vacuum tubes that clinched it? Not PC enough? Truth too inconvenient?

Geoff, you got some set...

jimHJJ(...nice even playing field ya' got here pal...)
    I really don't want any help with that.

If You and Herman want to go-at-it then take it to the Steel Cage.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I really don't want any help with that. .
    Duly noted...

And again I ask: What part of transcription disks and audio tape recorders was inflammatory? Was it the vacuum tubes that clinched it?

His inference stands, while my response is edited?

jimHJJ(...thanks...moderating at it's best I see...)

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

OK fair enough

Duly noted...

And again I ask: What part of transcription disks and audio tape recorders was inflammatory? Was it the vacuum tubes that clinched it?

His inference stands, while my response is edited?

jimHJJ(...thanks...moderating at it's best I see...)
    I'm tryin not to be an unfair guy but I have my limits.

So; I don't mind if you take someone to task for something they claims without support, and I don't take offence if you call someone out for a personal slander as long as you do it without swearing. But there's a point when you put the two together when it becomes too much. Re: Hermanv

Honestly I was really hoping that this thread would have died by now, but there's no way I'm going to let it continue as a bash-fest between you and Herman.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Now...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    I'm tryin not to be an unfair guy but I have my limits.

So; I don't mind if you take someone to task for something they claims without support, and I don't take offence if you call someone out for a personal slander as long as you do it without swearing. But there's a point when you put the two together when it becomes too much. Re: Hermanv

Honestly I was really hoping that this thread would have died by now, but there's no way I'm going to let it continue as a bash-fest between you and Herman.
    ...I'm not tryin' to be difficult, so please bear with me...what did I say, did I swear in my spare time? I always self censor with @s and $s and the odd asterisk...

And re: the part you left intact...I was the one who suggested the Steel-Cage Invitational to obviate such continued tom-foolery within this thread...What gives?

jimHJJ(...dazed and confused...)

A disagreement doesn't mean "go at it". I don't call people names. I believe many have no idea whereof they speak. That is not a sin.

Look it up, ignorance means un-informed it says nothing about you or your mother other than that and no one is "going at anything".

Since I personaly have embraced the "witchcraft" of cables, and isolators and special stands etc, the sound from my system has improved. I don't sell anything, I am not affliated with any company that sells anything I only post my personal experience in the hopes that others might add additional enjoyment to their systems.

There are those on this forum who respond with knee jerk condemnation to anything new or different, RL is most certainly in that camp. He is so positive the new fuses of this thread can't work that he need not even bother to listen. I think it's kind of sad. Maybe they don't, or god forbid maybe they do, thereby challenging the entire belief structure.

Me, I don't care how RL enjoys his music, I only care that he advises poeple not to even bother listening becasue "there is no proof", obviously your own senses couldn't matter, seems like terrible advice to me.

A forum is a place to discuss things, people will disagree. If there were complete agreement there wouldn't be a forum.

Herman.

I wonder why some people are so concerned about how someone else spends their money.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Suspended
    Getting back on the subject. How exactly do these work? Don't fuses work by having elements with a precise resistance which melt at a specific current? If the gold is used as end caps to prevent corrosion, I understand that (how do you justify the cost when many gold-plated connectors with more surface area, more gold, costs much less). But, if you're saying the gold is used as the element, I don't understand it. Gold would be a better conductor (less resistance), so the element would have to be much thinner, providing more resistance, to build up enough heat to open it at the same current. Having a more perfect conductor would be contrary to fuse design.
    Also, where are these being used? How does placing a gold fuse in a power supply, pre-amp, etc... help? The signal is still subject to the weakest link in the chain. How does a gold fuse in even the output circuit provide superior sound when it passes any benefits made through non-gold output relay (there's an idea for another tweak, gold output relays), non-gold speaker wires, non-gold internal speaker cabling? Do they make a power supply more regulated, less noisy, have less losses? Have audiophiles with reference systems been wrong all these years? Do the fuses unveil another layer of detail, provide more "air", "clean up the grunge? I'm sure with these benefits, there's a patent to provide protection for the design, thus no reason to be secretive. Many companies explain their revolutionary designs so the consumer can make an informed decision. Saying "Unfortunately you are a Theorethiker and no listener." doesn't wash. It's used by every salesman dishing up "snake oil". I say "show your work if you want any credit" and "either put up, or shut up".

It is certainly true that many of these mechanisms about metals effecting sound are not understood, or at least not by me. And as far as the resistance of a fuse, not all resistors seem to sound the same. Even thought the resistance in Ohms is identical, metal film, carbon film, tantalum, copper wirewound, nichrome wire wound etc. do not sound identical.

The best gear often uses Vishay bulk foil resistors. These are made with an aluminum foil (not metallized) on a glass substrate. Besides sounding good they have amazing temperature stability, very low drift over time, very low noise and several other high performance features. Whether any of this is related to why they sound good is anybodys guess. They are insanely expensive at near one thousand times the price of a high volume consumer resistor. Very popular for satellites and other military applications.

In my system I use silver lugs with rhodium plating, expensive ultra pure metal speaker cables. The interconnects I like are pure silver with expensive RCA jacks. Given that the metal junctions at each joint seem to be important (at least to me) to the sound it is not unreasonable to wonder if that cheap solder plated tin fuse cap and cheap fuse holder shouldn't be in the signal path.

I'm not saying these fuses are better, I'm saying it could easily be true that they are. None of this is inconsistent with the exotic cables and connectors that many audiophiles find add a great deal to the sonic end result of their systems.

My old amp had a series speaker fuse, my new one does not, so I can't try them.

I have used Vishay resistors in all the gear I've modified. I didn't use them at first but over time I have replaced all the resistors with the Vishay's. They produce less thermal noise are extremely stable and give a given amplifier a lower noise floor. I'm tempted to try these fuses in the series speaker fuse holders in my gear.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    I use the Isoclean after market fuses, they do improve the sound a great deal, they seem to make the most difference in the amp, were tallking HUGE difference.

In a cdp and pre the difference isn't quite to the extent of the results when one is placed in the amp, however the benefits are quite worth it.

I haven't used the Hi - Fi tuning fuses yet , but did compare the Bussmans to the Isocleans, no contest, the Isocleans blew the Bussmans away!

And...

Quote Originally Posted by MOON
    I use the Isoclean after market fuses, they do improve the sound a great deal, they seem to make the most difference in the amp, were tallking HUGE difference.

In a cdp and pre the difference isn't quite to the extent of the results when one is placed in the amp, however the benefits are quite worth it.

I haven't used the Hi - Fi tuning fuses yet , but did compare the Bussmans to the Isocleans, no contest, the Isocleans blew the Bussmans away!
    ...eutectic solders are better than 60/40 and IEC connectors are used simply to give folks a choice in their power cords...and...and...this huge diff...was it FR?...IM distortion?...S/N ratio?...

jimHJJ(...anecdotal subjectivism?...)

I could care less...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    I wonder why some people are so concerned about how someone else spends their money.
    ...just that every once in a while, it gets pretty deep around here...I just try to level things out...

jimHJJ(...after that you're on your own...)

...just that every once in a while, it gets pretty deep around here...I just try to level things out...

jimHJJ(...after that you're on your own...)
    Thank you for your support? By the way, I agree about the solder. Also, that should be "I couldn't care less. Saying "I could care less" implies that you do care"

You're right...

Thank you for your support? By the way, I agree about the solder. Also, that should be "I couldn't care less. Saying "I could care less" implies that you do care"
    ...pardon my careless descent into the vulgate...without the sarcastic tone, it doesn't translate well into print...although I do take exception to the common argument surrounding the phrase...

To me "I couldn't care less" is finite...whereas "I could care less" delves into the endless abyss of negative numbers...The result: Given the proper motivation I could care less than zero, say -10 or as is meant when spoken with the proper inflection...not with that slight hope that there is care there, but that it's physically impossible for me to care any less about the subject and will now commence to undermine things that support it...

I'm certain my English teachers would disagree with my POV but...

jimHJJ(...I could care less...)

...pardon my careless descent into the vulgate...without the sarcastic tone, it doesn't translate well into print...although I do take exception to the common argument surrounding the phrase...

To me "I couldn't care less" is finite...whereas "I could care less" delves into the endless abyss of negative numbers...The result: Given the proper motivation I could care less than zero, say -10 or as is meant when spoken with the proper inflection...not with that slight hope that there is care there, but that it's physically impossible for me to care any less about the subject and will now commence to undermine things that support it...

I'm certain my English teachers would disagree with my POV but...

jimHJJ(...I could care less...)
    Do you always obfuscate? My original response was because I had an English teacher who was quite a stickler for proper language usage. I guess it rubbed off. I could care less implies you do care but could be persuaded to care less than you do. I couldn't care less says I don't care at all! By the way you have contradicted yourself.

No...

Do you always obfuscate? My original response was because I had an English teacher who was quite a stickler for proper language usage. I guess it rubbed off. I could care less implies you do care but could be persuaded to care less than you do. I couldn't care less says I don't care at all! By the way you have contradicted yourself.
    ...obfuscate? Actually I rarely always do anything...in fact, most of the time I never do nothing...but...

I ruminate, perhaps delineate, in order to obviate...any rancorous debate. My manner, most sedate...a simple trait...can you relate?

It's when a spate...of the profligate... try to intimate, that I simply berate...I will demonstrate, that they are quite incohate...as all words can mean more than just one thing...

Contradiction? I simply presented two possible interpretations of the phrase, however...sometimes I might instigate and delve into applications most abstract...

jimHJJ(...and that's a fact, Jack...)

Am I on the right site? Nevermind. I don't care if I care.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

This is...

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Am I on the right site? Nevermind. I don't care if I care.
    ...Creative Idiocy...The Argument Clinic is in the next room...

jimHJJ(...No it's not...)

This is not a fight.
    Yes it is.
    Not it's not.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Imagine how happy I am that I asked about the fuses in the first place.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    OK, I am imagining you happy.

Hey, stop that.

Be happy...

...you didn't say anything about the Velvet Underground...I can't even imagine how that would turn out...

jimHJJ(...conceptual continuity lives on!...)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    ...you didn't say anything about the Velvet Underground...I can't even imagine how that would turn out...

jimHJJ(...conceptual continuity lives on!...)

Imagine no longer; as a teenager in small town Ohio in the early 70's the Velvet Underground's music along with all I read about them gave me hope. I was outed early in school and became the scapegoat for all the aggression and prejudice. So while I was encircled and punched at every class change by bullies and jocks I had the dreams of New York and a community where I could be accepted. Their music was very important to me.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Imagine no longer; as a teenager in small town Ohio in the early 70's the Velvet Underground's music along with all I read about them gave me hope. I was outed early in school and became the scapegoat for all the aggression and prejudice. So while I was encircled and punched at every class change by bullies and jocks I had the dreams of New York and a community where I could be accepted. Their music was very important to me.
    Who punched you? I want a list of names. Road trip! No one picks on John and gets away with it.

The 70's were a tough time to be different. Seems like it was the bully generation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information