MCH
    Forum Regular

Here 's An Option for the AR.diys PIC

I recently made a center channel for an existing set of AR.diys. The center speaker will sit in stand I designed to hold a 62" Tosh DLP and audio gear. I wanted the speaker to protrude a little forward of the cab. So I came up with this design; I reworked an existing cab I had built to add the rings housing the speakers. When I placed the speaker on a stand for testing, it occurred to me that this design would give these speakers a nice look in a complete set. They could be called the Eighth Note.
    I previously made a complete set (6 speakers and a sub) with stands in white for a brother. With the addition of the tv stand, the new center channel and reworked Polks for rear center (7.1 system) all in white; the sytem will look quite stunning in his audio/video room.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sweet Jebus, that's some nice lookin' speaker.

It's hard to see for sure, but are the drivers flush mounted to the surface of the ring ridges? Do you think you're getting any undesireable effects from surface diffraction due to the rings?
    How'd you make the rings? Two layers of MDF or one?

For some reason

I only get the square box and not the picture....

MCH
    Forum Regular
    Yes, the speakers are flush mounted. 'undesireable effects from surface diffraction' I don't think so. I have in my own setup speakers shaped with a descending cone look and find they sound just great. I don't have any high-end measuring equipment though, I rely on my ears. The rings (or figure 8s) are made from 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF glued to the cab.
    You can see a pic of my version of Ed's ARdiys here:
    http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultim...c;f=6;t=000505

Forum Regular
    Great job MCH. I like the finish (very smooth). Puts many commercially made speakers to shame. The baffle is very in keeping with your other very original AR.com DIYs.... maybe you should measure the response? You might find your technique helps with diffraction effects (smoothing?) - who knows... a patent in the making

Anyway... If a centre - what about shielding? or is placement far enough away (or you are using a RSP / projector so not a problem etc....)

PS: My AR.com DIYs are nearly finished.. Unfortunately borth 850122's respond differently in testing / breakin (what I mean is free air I can hear the difference and see excursion differences between them at the same frequency). I hope this doesn't affect them too much. Madisound quickly said I could return - but since I have soldered them and I'm sure they won't pay for shipping both ways (USD$100 - yes that's right - shipping both ways from New Zealand)... I might just have to live with it.

If I like one speaker - I no doubt will build another pair. My partner is already eyeing up mine saying they would look nice in her lounge :-)

Dave.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_bullet
    Anyway... If a centre - what about shielding? or is placement far enough away (or you are using a RSP / projector so not a problem etc....)
    errrr forget my question - you already answered it in the post if I read properly.

Cheers.

Kursun
    A very nice job. Congratulations!
    BTW the tweeter-mid/bass figure 8 pattern reminds me of the figure 8 in my DIY!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information