Forum Regular

Question Help w/ DIY Surround Speakers

I'm building a set of surround (5.1) speakers for a class I'm taking, but I'm on a tight budget ($500). I'd like to build a decent 5-speaker system for now, and add a subwoofer at a later time. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do know what decent speakers sound like. Is $500 too tight a budget for this project?

Also, recommendations for speakers and plans are HIGHLY appreciated. I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there, and haven't been able to find a good place to start. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by jerky1280
    I'm building a set of surround (5.1) speakers for a class I'm taking, but I'm on a tight budget ($500). I'd like to build a decent 5-speaker system for now, and add a subwoofer at a later time. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I do know what decent speakers sound like. Is $500 too tight a budget for this project?

Also, recommendations for speakers and plans are HIGHLY appreciated. I'm completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information out there, and haven't been able to find a good place to start. Thanks so much!
    An inexpensive kit is available from Parts Express, called the Dayton BR-1. It sells for $140 a pair in kit form. Parts Express is good dealer for speaker building in general, and they are very helpful on the phone if you have questions. Have a look and see if this fits your needs. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-640

If you're into building from the ground up...

Quote Originally Posted by jerky1280

Check out the AR.com/Ed Fias DIY 2-ways here...

http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx Lot's of good things said and have a pair myself. About $200us/pair for parts and you save $90 or so if you build your own box's. Lot's of support in this forum both current and Old AR forums(on right side of this page under "green links")
    Karl K.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line... in the opposite direction.

Thread Information